WARN 8074 Winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

WARN 8074 Winch

does anyone have any info on this? my uncle is selling it to me in a package deal (Winch and '58 Willys Wagon that runs w/ snowplow for $1000). it seems to be old, but not worn out or beaten up. is this a predecessor to the 8274? it says 8000lb capacity, but the rest of the tag is missing. thanks for any info! matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: WARN 8074 Winch

Thats what I have on my Jeep. Correct predecessor to the 8274, and it can be converted to be basicly an 8274 if you want. When I thinking about buying mine I e-mail warn and got this
"the 8074 will work in the same mounting plate as the M8274. The M8074 does not have the clutch option, so you can not freespool the winch, otherwise the two winches are the same. You can purchase a complete new upper housing and clutch knob assembly for the 8074 to convert it."
Basicly the things I have found to be different, 1. the winch motor is not reversable, 2. the 8074 has a hand brake which I hear wears out and is the biggest problem (supposed to be easy to replace) As far as free spooling I might have my terms wrong but I think my winch does freespool (push in a lever and the drum turns just by pulling the cable, no electricity involved). Overall I am happy with my winch, someday when I have extra $$$ I may convert mine to an 8074 but for the wheeling I do now it is fine. I definately could see problems if you are trying to winch off a hill fooling with the brake could be a pain. Hope this helps,

1986 CJ-7
SOA 2.5" Pro-Comp springs
Warn 8074
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:42 AM
cj7jeep

I bought one a few months ago. Correct it is the predecessor to the 8274. It does not freespool, not much of a problem to me since the line speed is fast. Parts interchange with the 8274. If you need parts i found a place online the gave me very good service www.dsiwarn.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

OK, so it doens't freespool. does it power-in and power-out (for lowering)? cj7jeep, what parts have you replaced? thanks for the info guys! matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:08 PM
cj7jeep

Yep, powers in and out, i think faster than you could pull it out if it had freespooling. I bought a plastic solenoid housing cover and a vinyl cover for the winch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode