Seat Belt Torx - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:44 AM
tdog90yj

Seat Belt Torx

Hey guys
i was just wondering what size Torx socket do i need to remove the seat belt bolts from a 90 YJ. Also is there going to be a secret hand shake on getting these off or will it just be a breaker bar and sone WD40. Those thing are in there real tight!
Thanks guys

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Seat Belt Torx

Size 45 on my '88. I need to remove mine soon to repair some rust but I don't know if they will come out. I haven't tried the breaker bar yet but my rachet handle sure did start to bend until I stopped!

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:04 AM
tdog90yj

cool thanks Stooby. Yeah i actually broke a craftsman torx socket trying to take off the roll bar. I was so pissed.

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

In my opinion your wasting your time using WD40 as a penetrating oil. It does a real poor job if you ask me. I personaly have had good luck with PB Blaster. I used to think WD was a magic elixer but now I don't touch the stuff. Which sux cuz now I'm stuck with a whole gallon in the garage. Just an opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 01:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

At least the Craftsman ones can be replaced. I work there but they were out of stock when I needed mine so I had to get MasterCraft ones.

[img]jeep.bmp[/img]
'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:15 AM
sas87yj

yeah the size i'm not sure but you will need a set anyway for all the torx heads on the jeep. don't buy foreign crap- usa only. hit them with plenty of juice to work on the rust. take your time and try not to strip the heads- then you will have to go to plan "B".

steve

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:37 AM
Way Outta Control

tdog90yj, I hate to tell you this but cut off wheels don't come in torx sizes! Best of luck to what will likely be a very frustrating experience.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:33 AM

i second the B'Laster vote. also, i have had good luck doing this: heat the bolt head up with a propane torch. stick the torx bit into the bolt head and beat the snot out of the bit with the smallest hammer you can find. be carefull to not break or deform the bit (hammer too big). it should come out now. i use this alot on the windshield and tailgate hinge bolts and it works every time. if you think the bolt is going to strip, repeat process. as soon as it turns a little, shoot between the head and the roll-bar with some B'laster. turn a little and shoot again. you need to get that lube in there to help the bolt come out. hope this helps! matt

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

My preferred poison is Liquid Wrench. I agree totally on the vibrating with a small hammer & rinsing frequently. To avoid busted knuckles [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] and loud cursing [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] next time, use Anti-Sieze compound. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I use the Permatex brand available at Advance AP for about $7/bottle.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:33 PM

lots of luck.. i have had some success with the hammer and squirt method as well. liquid wrench or pb are the answer. if you have a breaker bar you're not real attatched to, you can use it like an impact driver. apply some turning pressure as you rap with the hammer. just dont slip or strip. i always replace a torx with a normal bolt once it is out. never seize is a must.

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode