Time to rush the 5.0 swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Time to rush the 5.0 swap

Well it finaly happened...The 4.2 decided to comit suicide. Rod through the block, hole in the pan and that's just what I could see with the flash light on the side of the road. Don't you just hate when that happens?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:38 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Time to rush the 5.0 swap

Dude, I'm at the beginning of my '86 5.0HO swap. I just dropped the engine off at the machine shop yesterday for boring, forged pistons, main studs, balancing, etc. Then Edelbrock aluminum heads, headers, and Ford wire harness/computer/mass air/injectors/sensors etc. What are you plans for your swap?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 03:00 AM

I dont think a 5.0 will fit in a Jeep.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 06:30 AM
Way Outta Control

March, 1987, 2000 hrs, coming up Eli Hill on the way home to Buckley in my 85 FS Bronco... the FIRST snow since I bought it and I was look'n forward to a litte Wheelin' in the snow...then I heard a hellatious noise and downshifted. That was a mistake... Flames shot out from under the Bronco, the Wife screamed, the Kids laughed at the wife and I watched a rod, a piston, part of the crank, and half the side of my I6 go shooting into the woods. Yep, those were the days, money couldn't by "priceless" times like that!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Zimm...Advanced adapters engine cradle, np435 that I should have back from the trans shop tomorrow and np205. I'm using the np205 until I can save the money for an atlasII(I'm setting the 205 up with twin sticks). I stole the old heddman headers from my mustang, and am having a single 2 1/4" exhaust made to fit.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Oh H8...I just did some measuring and figured the engine should fit, all I have to do is leave off the cylinder heads and stretch the nose of the jeep a few inches

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:00 PM

I think youll really like the 5.0. It is a very well designed piece of machinery. As you get deeper into the swap, you will really appreciate how well Ford designed and manufactured the 5.0 HO. The EEC IV computer system, is widely regaurded, as one of the best systems in use,(even with todays newer technology). It is very simple and efficient, and contrary to what many think, it is a very simple stand alone system, (only relying on a few sensors on the engine). The engine is light and powerfull, and is easily modified to build powerband characteristics as you need. It has no inheirant problems, and a history of long reliable service. It runs very cool, maintains great oil pressure even at low RPM.
You really dont need to spend a suitcase full of cash on high performance modifications, to get a super Jeep engine. With just a few ballanced performance options, added to my (90) 5.0,(with just under 100K) it was dyno'd, out at a shop at LV Speedway, yesterday at just under 250 HP at the wheels,not bad for a 12 year old engine, just beginning its second carreer.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I know the virtues of the 5.0, I raced my 86 GT for quite some time. Exhaust/thottle body/cam/and some tuning and a set of 3.27 gears and I was smoking brand new 325hp Z28 SSs off the line and to the end of the strip. 120k miles on that motor and it never complained about the abuse(wish I could say the same for my 4.2 liter paper weight).

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:39 PM

This swap was brought up before when I was asking for suggestions to replace my 4.2. I like the idea even more now that I found a '93 5.0 running with 50k miles for $400. This includes engine, computer, wiring. The seller said it included everything I would need and it is still in the car if I want to hear it run! I have a factory Jeep t-18 with granny low that I would like to leave in my Jeep. Will I need a new bellhousing to do this, ie a Ford bell housing from a Ford t-18 tanny, or do I need an adaptor etc? If I can use the Ford junkyard bellhousing what years do I look for? As a side note, do the 302 and 351W share the same bell housing bolt pattern?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

To use the ford 302 in front of a jeep t-18 you will need a ford bellhousing and you will need to change the input shaft to a ford piece because the ford bellhousing is shorter. Also you may(and I'm not possitive so don't quote me) have to drill the bellhousing because the trans to bellhousing pattern may be different. You should be able to use any ford t-18/t-19/np435 bellhousing and you will need a flywheel and clutch. You may also need to have the flywheel balanced to match your motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode