New idea, 2.5L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

New idea, 2.5L

Alright, i have one other idea, that i just picked up from looking around. what about a 2.5L YJ. THe only thing im conserned about is how much power they have off road. they will be cheaper im pretty sure, but is the less cost worth the power difference? also, can i add like 33's on it? or is that to pig of tire for the engine? or is this just a complete wrong thing to try. also, i believe all the 2.5L yj's had fuel injection, right? is there any year of the 2.5 i should watch out for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:59 PM

Re: New idea, 2.5L

It depends on the off-roading you plan to do. Sand dunes and mud bogs will require horse power to spin the tires so they can clean themselves out for traction. Trail running in woods or rockcrawling don't require lots of power. The 4 banger has enough power to turn 33s off road, on the highway you wouldn't have much passing power and might have to down shift a lot on up hill roads. Regearing the axles would be needed but the stock axles in a yj will only take like a 4.88 gear. The plus side is that you will have less power to break parts. While I myself am putting a 5liter in my wrangler, I realy don't need it for the trails in my area, I just need to replace a 4.2 with a rod knock and the motor/trans/transfer case were available. 4 bangers work fine with the right gearing and many people have proven it. There are 4 cyl toyotas with 33s and 35s running around on trails without a problem. If all you can afford is a 4 cyl right now, get it. As the rest of the jeep takes shape(if you own it long enough you will have plenty done to it) and the need for power arises, start to plan an engine swap. The more you work on the jeep the more pissed you will become at every little thing it does but when you drop the top and doors and roll out onto the trail all of it will be forgotten. Have patience and keep watching the want ads, try and find the 4.0 that you truly want, but if you don't find one that is within your budget remember, any Jeep is better than a grocery getter.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New idea, 2.5L

the 2.5 is actually a pretty good engine....as far as 4 cylinder motors go. They are not bad. you may have some trouble at highway speeds running 33's but you can always regear the heck out of it laters and add all sorts of power pods as you go (throttle body spacer, MSD, those add on flywheel masses, elec. fan..the list is long)

buying a 2.5 may allow you to buy cheaper and add on as you go...so you dont spend all your money at once....its not a bad idea to consider....and you might also get better MPG....

just my opinion again

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode