TJ front end wander - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ front end wander

Background: 97 TJ, 3" lift, 35" tires, 4.56 gears, 113K. About 2 months ago my front end started go wander side to side. Replaced steering box, pump, and stabilizer (needed upgrades anyway) but still have problem. Rod ends are good. Upper control arm bushings are on order, so is an adjustable trac bar. Anybody have similar problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ front end wander

35s on a TJ with only 3" of LIFT? no way...

tell us more about the lift, who made it, how old it is, etc, and we'll have more insight...

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Remy, check out GIGOLO's jeep. He has 2" over 2" with 35's too. I thought about it but it just sounded iffy to me.

Florida mud-maniac:'97 Sahara TJ, lift, 2"suspension,maybe body later, Tomken rear bumper,trac-loc rear,free-flow exhaust, K&N filter,32x11.5 M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The lift is a Rubicon Express 3" super flex (RE7003). I didn't have the money for upper arms or the adjustable trac bar at the time (August 2000). I just got the trac bar today and am in the process of upgrading to poly bushings for the arms. When I did the lift I gained @5" in the back and @4.5" up front. The gap between the tires and fenderwell were @10" with 31's. I was told that the springs would break in after 1500 miles. 12000 miles later no change. I commute 100 miles a day back and forth to work 5 days a week.

How come my daily driver sounds like a B52?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this is it

How come my daily driver sounds like a B52?
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 9-430769-NEW-3BMP.bmp (70.7 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2001, 07:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Nice lookin' TJ.

You didn't mention alignment (I may have missed it)...what you describe is characteristic of toe out (or too little toe in). Any biasing of the steering wheel one way or the other sends the beast in that direction...you're always correcting. Caster could be a factor ..but that usually shows up as a shimmy that develops at speed and won't go away until you come to a stop....but too little caster would make for too easy steering and you would lose the self aligning characteristic of positive caster...so I guess that could be it as well.
GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode