4L IN CJ-7? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

4L IN CJ-7?

Alright, somoene told me something about putting a 4L into a cj-7. So i would buy a cheap ass cj-7 with high miles. Get a 4L engine and stick it in there. Will that work or do i have to change more than that? The cj-7 would be between like 84-86. Also, if i did this, i would need to stick power steering and breaks in the cj-7, is that possible? and how much would that cost? thanks
andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 04:43 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: 4L IN CJ-7?

Whenever someone follows advice like "just stick a 4 litre in it!" you're always asking for trouble. Typically, if you listen to stuff like this, the project is ventured into with not enough research.

Following your multiple posts, yes, it is nice to get a cheaper Jeep, and do the work on it yourself, and you can have one nice jeep for likely less than the 5K or 6K you are looking to spend. This will take more time than buying a nice jeep. That's the trade off. Time for money. Some of these guys spend years building their jeeps. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just some truth to that approach.

To (maybe) answer your questions, CJ7's did come with power steering and brakes, but I'm not sure if they ALL did. Can you put it in one that doesn't have one, yes. Can you put a 4L in, yes. It's not as easy as just "tossing" it in there.

I'm not up on ALL of the stuff required for this swap, but you will need to use a fuel injection gas tank or fuel pump, all new fuel lines for the higher fuel pressure of an injection system, I think all new wiring harness for all the sensors and stuff... I'm sure it's a great swap, but do yourself a favor, and do a lot of research before you go down this path.

Good luck
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i realise its not as simple as saying it, but will i have to replace anythign else major like a new trasmission or anything? and does anyone know what exactly will have to be done?
thanks
andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 05:46 PM
Old Hand

Do a search. There have been numerous threads on that lately.....with some great links and write-ups.

Click search, then select swb jeep, put in a date range, then put in key words like 4.0 swap then select and then finish.

tons of great info. It will take some time to pour over the files, but you will be very informed before attempting this type of swap, or even buying something that you later plan to swap out.

-raymo
4.6 Stroker Scrambler
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

andrew...i dont know what you've decided on now looking at all your posts...but do yourself a favor....buy something that runs already...DOnt buy a project yet....not unless you are loaded and have a second car. you'll just end up cursing the jeep if you do

just my opinion

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:59 AM
tdog90yj

I agree with Jeepingreg dont buy a project vehicle it will milk you dry before you have a chance to have any fun with it. If it is going to be your only mode of transportation itll be a pain if it wont run when you need it too and soon youll hate the thing. Every used car will have its quirks that need to be worked out but that is what you will need to budget for.

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode