'72 500CID Caddilac Motor Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:10 PM
Wrangler88

\'72 500CID Caddilac Motor Swap

ok since that isn't probably gonna happen, my buddie just bought a 1972 Cadillac Deville with the 500CID V-8, i was wonder since i get the car in 3 months when he goes into the marines, could this fit in a SWB jeep? i probably wouldn't do it, and anyone know what kinda power that puts out? and what kinda auto tranny is behind it, its a monster of an engine.. how much could i see it for? its got 73K original miles and still runs strong.. thanks guys

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'72 500CID Caddilac Motor Swap

Check out:
http://cad500parts.com/
http://www.mts.simplenet.com/
They can help you.
Rondo

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:31 PM

Early seventies...I believe they put out around 300 horse. You can get the crank drilled and instal a pilot bearing, using a pontiac/olds/buick bellhousing you could put a 4 speed behind it but I believe you would need a car trans, not a truck trans. The motor is large but it should physicly fit into your engine compartment. Your best bet for mounts would be universal ones from cadilac motorsports(I think thats the name of the company), they advertise in the back of hot rod magazines and sell all kinds of stuff for that motor. Is it worth it??? That would be your decision. You might not be able to get adapters to fit the trans you need to your transfer case, you might need a different case, you may need to change the front axle to match the different case. If you choose an automatic, your best bet is a turbo 400. With the auto you probably have better choices for adapters and transfer cases. It's really up to you but I think a more common swap would be better. but then again no one said that true jeepers do anything the easy way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you could work out the problems this would probably be an excelent swap, the caddy has a lot of torque and the motor isn't that heavy about the same weight as a small block chevy.The biggest draw back that I see is the cost of parts for the motor.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:42 PM
Addict

That 500 Cad is a torque monster! This isn't a hp motor. As was previosly said, 300 is about all you're going to get. But on the torque side of things, you better have a pretty stout driveline becuase that thing'll put out 500 ft-lbs at only 2800rpm or so. And that's bone stock! Totally overkill for a Jeep. But no one ever said overkill is a bad thing....hehehe

'86 'glass CJ7, 33x12.5 BFG AT's 258, T5, D44
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have heard about this swap, i have heard it is very worthwhile. It was accually in a magazine a while back, i cant remember which one, it mentioned it.

'85 Scrambler
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you have a short shaft Turbo 400 hooked up to the Cadi, a Dana 20 from a Wagoneer or Commando with a Turbo 400 will bolt right up. Torque is good. But don't expect stock Wrangler axles to agree with you. Buick 455s are also excelent grunt motors. But there's just someting cool about saying you have 500 cubic inches under your hood.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Travis

If I don't make it, avenge my death.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 01:32 AM

A buddy of mine just put a 472 caddy motor under the hood of his willys wagon. A very sweet swap, the motor is great, getting an aluminum intake manifold sheds a lot of weight as well. The motors are pretty cheap, no great demand for them, but there are not many people making aftermarket stuff for them. There is one guy making roller rockers and cams for them, other than that, I have not seen much else for performance.

John
48 CJ-2A, 49 Willys truck, 70 Jeepster Commando, 89 Wrangler, 98 4x4 Tacoma
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

-chanting-

60's 60's 60's

You need a thneed
From Once-ler Industrys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode