windshield wipers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

windshield wipers

I have a 1980 CJ-5 when I turn on the wiper switch nothing happens but if I leave it on and physically push the wipers they will wipe across the windshield once but if I put my finger on the windshield and limit thier travel they will continue to work untill I remove my finger then on the next pass across the windshield they will stop.I've taken the motor off and tried putting it back on in a slightly diffeant position same thing happenes and I've also tried taking my wipers off and moving them to a differant location at stop when I put them back on still gets the same result and I've oiled the arms inside the windshield frame with no differant results. Has any body else had this problem? Any ideas,suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: windshield wipers

My old wiper motor was not quite that bad but it was getting tired. Sounds like it is dieing. I wanted intermittent wipers so I swapped a Wrangler column and wiper motor. I had to swap the arms on the motors to get it to work. The YJ motor goes in circles while the CJ goes back and forth. It took a while to realize this, Da, the wipes kept pegging all the way over and not come back. Every thing else is CJ and it works great. 10x better than the old worn out CJ setup. If you can find the parts its well worth it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 02:40 PM
Old Hand

" The YJ motor goes in circles while the CJ goes back and forth." The CJ-7 motor rotates in circles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:34 PM

I think the reference was to the wiper pivots on the CJ. The CJ's go to a stop and then rotate back. The arm on the CJ motor does go in a circle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't really want to do the conversion because I live in the southwest(doesn't rain often enough to bother)I just want to fix the problem.Ant advice as far as how to fix whats wrong with my present wiper set up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:18 AM
Way Outta Control

Take the motor out, but leave it connected to the harness and provide a ground. Turn the motor on. Can you stall the motor by holding onto the gearing output shaft? If remove the motor from the gearing and repeat the test. Sometimes the gear lube hardens and cases the worm drive to stall. If the motor stalls now, yep it's bad. If not, clean and relube the gear box and repeat the test.

Don't forget to lube the windshiled wiper shaft and pivots. It's a good idea to remove them, burnish the pivots with scotch brite, use a good quality grease and then re-install the assembly and try it again. Inspect the bearings and shafts for burrs and scores. Remember, if it moves, lube it! Then inspect the windshiled frame for warpage. This is often a problem.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like your limit switch may be bad. There is a little switch in the mechanism somewhere that shuts the motor off when the wipers get to the park position. Check that.

Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode