towing a jeep - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

towing a jeep

I am going to take my 83 cj7 on a trip next month. It's about 800 miles each way. I have a bumper mounted tow bar, and was just going to drop the rear driveshaft and tow it. Is it worth the money to rent a trailer to pull it, and would it pull alot better on the trailer. This will be my first time to tow it and was curious about your opinions.

thanks agin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:41 AM

Re: towing a jeep

try it with the tow-bar on the highway and see what you think. the advantage to the trailer is you can bring it back it if breaks. matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 10:48 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

A trailer also keeps the 1600 miles off of your jeep's tires. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Plus it gives you brakes to help stop. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 11:40 AM

I have tow my 88YJ, four down with my motorhome on trips up to 2000 miles with on problems. Good luck.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:03 PM
Pooh-Bah

I tried putting my Jeep on a dolly, once. It started jumping back and forth from side to side so bad I thought it was going to flip the Suburban I was pulling it with. Seems flexy suspension gets going once the jeep hits a pot hole and continues on like a basket ball. On the return trip we had to strap the frame of the Jeep to the dolly and it wasn't as bad. A guy with me on that trip said his Jeep did that a lot when he flat towed it and a locked rear. Last weekend I trailered the Jeep and it was soo much nicer, plus if it breaks your okay, and less wear and tear.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First, what are you towing it with?

Second, don't believe the locker stories...i regularly flat tow a 77 CJ5 with 6" of lift, 36" swampers, and detroit lockers front and rear, behind my Quad Cab short bed Ram pickup....and to be honest, with the Performance Friction brake pads, and the drilled and slotted rotors, you barely know the Jeep's even there....

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have flat towed for thousands of miles with my 87 YJ behind a motor home and behind a van. The most important difference is that you can't back up, so think ahead. With a trailer you can maneuver better. Second make sure that your tow is never heavier than the pulling rig or you will be the next highway wreck or fatality. Some say the tow should be at least 75% or less then the whieght of the towing rig. A good full size pick up truck fits the bill nicely. As for the rest there are just so many personal preferances and options. You have to see what's best for you or what you like. With a trailer you have more expence but at least you can drive the jeep right away. Flat tow does require removing the drive shaft and unlocking the front hubs or in my case the front shaft because of the vacuum operated diff on the YJs. You can convert all your hubs to locking type. The magazines are marketing this mod just for that reason. But then it's more $$ again. No matter what, when you flat tow you will add miles to the tires and wheel bearings if nothing else. I'm leaning towards a light weight aluminum trailer myself but in the mean time I'm still flat towing and it gets me by just fine.

Tread lightly and stop to smell the roses - Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode