90YJ w/ 4 cyl - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 04:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

90YJ w/ 4 cyl

I need some advice,I've had my YJ for 6 yrs, its paid for and it runs descent, just lacks the power I would like. I would love to get it trail worthy with some lift and big tires. Iv'e been told not to lift a 4 cyl, without changing gear ratios. I am considering replacing it with a TJ w/ a 4.0L, but am hesitant to hop on the payment plan again, especially a $20,000 one, then i probably wont have cash for anything else. Does anybody have a 4 cyl. thats lifted? If so, How does it perform on the trail? One more, has anybody actually done a eng conversion, to either a V8 or 4.0L? How much work is that? Too much Im afraid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:51 AM

Re: 90YJ w/ 4 cyl

swapping engines is very much work. If you are not mechanical, sell the 4cyl YJ and buy one with 6cyl... doesn't have to be brand new.
or else.... put on a 2" susp lift and some shackles that are 2" longer than stock then some aggressive 31x10.50 tires that will suit your driving habits. install some front swaybar disonnects. this combination will make your Jeep very capable off road while your 4cyl will still be able to handle itself on the road, you'll need to shift to 4th more often on hills but that's about it. off road the 4cyl is mostly a non-issue until you get to deep mud or big sand.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifting your Jeep and changing the gear ratio have nothing tho do with one another, but putting on larger diameter tires and changing your gear ratio does. My dughter in law has a 4cylinder YJ which has been lifted, larger diameter tires put on and has had the gear ratio changed and she is very satisfied with it. I agree with you about getting into debt to get a new or newer Jeep it really sucks if I were you I'd put a lift on your present jeep add larger tires and change the gear ratio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im wondering how econimicly feasable it is to change to a bigger engine. To tell the truth, I've allways regreted buying such a underpowered jeep. Would you agree it would be cheaper to replace the jeep than to change engines?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 10:10 AM

It depends what you plan to replace the jeep with. A new TJ will cost much more than an engine swap, a YJ of the same year with a six cylinder shouldn't cost much more than what you could sell your 4 banger for. I paid $500 for an 88 mercury with a 302, $200 for an explorer rear to handle the extra power, and am working out the little details(drive shafts, exhaust, clutch cylinders, flywheel) as we speak. All told I figured 4000 for the converion. I already had the six but it had a rod knock and finaly blew up last night. An engine swap is worth the time and money, but because of different needs and other variances(local emmissions) it is not for every one. Carefully consider what you plan to use the jeep for and the decision should become easier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode