Stoopid to switch rollbar? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Stoopid to switch rollbar?

I have a '93 Jeep and am thinking of switching to the older style rollbar. Would this be a stoopid move on my part? I like the look of the older ones, I have no need for rear shoulder harnesses, and I like the fastback softop from rock gear. Any negatives about this(i.e. less protection in rollover?) I have a friend that just bought an '89 YJ and he has kids, so I could probably get him to swap(same color too). Thanks!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 01:22 AM

Re: Stoopid to switch rollbar?

Hey if your not using the backseat for kids, then its not really a stupid idea. If you like the look of the older bars, then go for it, as far as I know, other than the added rear passenger protection, and added shoulder harness, there is no additional inheirant strength in the newer bars.
Now, lets move on, to the more important question, you should be asking, "should the addition, of reinforcement, and a front hoop(to whichever stock bar you may choose), be the most important modification, on my list?". Why, Yes James, the addition of a full roll cage should be even more important than a neat swept back soft top.
Who cares which style you choose as long as it can help save your life in a rollover. I would not, begin a build up without the cage being somewhere at top of the list, to be completed before my 1st day of hard wheelin. I wouldnt let one of my daughters, even own a Jeep untill I installed a front hoop, and needed reinforcement. Its not a very expensive project.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:08 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Check with Boston Mangler, he was looking for a newer rollbar and wanted to get rid of his stock one (older style), maybe you guys can setup a trade.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:08 AM
joeybcdt

If your bar is in excellent condition, I'd be willing to trade.

Joey

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-427681-JeepBack.jpg (29.5 KB, 0 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Thanks for slappin me around Jeff I've been stoopid with my order of mods. A front hoop should come first before an axle swap and SOA. And I have been planning on doing it before I do any serious off-roading. So there's not benifit to the newer bar except shoulder harnesses and maybe a bit more rear protection for passengers? Would I be stoopid to take rear passengers wheeling with the older style bar? Thanks Jeff!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 01:46 PM

I would think the older style bars would actually be stronger due to the triangulation of the bar supports. The newer ones with the bends probably would fail with less weight. It is probably not really a problem though as I am sure both are capable bars.

I would keep your existing bar ( even though if you were near me I would trade you in a heartbeat) if you plan on ever wheeling with people in the back.

My kids keep harrassing me to go jeepin but I won't take them until I get the cage done with some type of protection for the rear. Heck I am even a little leary (ok a lot) of attempting difficult stuff with out the full cage. It is going in soon!

BigHG
84 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode