grand cherokee owners advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

grand cherokee owners advice

Hey guys, got a few questions for Grand Cherokee owners or those who are knowledgeable about them. My girlfriend is in the market for a new vehicle, so I suggested a Grand Cherokee to her. Of course, she wants me to find one for her, so I figured I'd ask the unbiased experts here what to look for and what to avoid. I'm thinking a 96-99 would be within budget and yet low enough on miledge to be reliable for her for a few years to come. Questions:

1. I finally figured out that selec-trac is the 4x4 that you engage when you want (like our SWB Jeeps) and quadra-trac is the full time system with the center limited slip diff. What is "quadra-drive"? Is it different than quadra-trac? I asked a few questions on the mid-size Jeep forum and got 2 responses, both of which said to avoid the quadra-trac due to reliability problems...what do you guys think?
2. I understand that quite a few changes were made for the 99 model year. Do any of these changes warrant the jump in price from 98-99.
3. Probably go V8 for some medium boat trailer pulling - I know there have been quite a few different ones installed in recent years - any to avoid?
4. For owners - what options are you glad to have or find useful? Which do you wish you had gotten?
5. Limited vs. Laredo?

Keep in mind that this will be a vehicle for my girlfriend and will not see the off-road use that some of our trucks do. This will be her daily driver as well as our vehicle for road trips or going skiing in the mountains here in western Washington.
Thanks a lot in advance guys - everyone here is always helpful - Chuck

Chuck
1995 YJ 4.0 5spd, 3" body lift, 32" Bridgestones (w/damn 3.07 gears), Durabak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: grand cherokee owners advice

i own a 96 GC, it has the q-track set up-which is ok but i will be adding the part time conversion eventually. I have the V8-318(5.2L). i drove some with the 6 and they performed great but i like the extra power. the newer models have a little more power and get better gas milage(4.9L v8). B/T/W you can save money if you dont intend to let it go off pavement and get a 2wd laredo- but i hate to see that-it is a jeep. i have the limited package (great thing about the lmtd. packg.-NO CHROME) and it's nice i guess but i wouldnt miss it-so you could save some cash by going laredo there too. but all-in-all they are great fun to drive especially w/V8, and it is very at home off-road as well as a daily driver. I have made a few mods to mine but nothing extreme. Daystar coil spacers to allow a little more room in the fender wells, a set of rs 9000's, and magnum computer and k&n. but thats cuz i am a jeep junky. more, more, more, more.
hope it helps and i hope you change your mind about the "paved roads only". but i'm sure if you buy one- you will
my .02
ryan

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info Ryan. Are you doing the part-time conversion due to the limited slip center wearing out or what? Have you been happy with quadra-trac? I just read some reviews on "epinions.com" and the 99 GC was 75% recommended while the 98 was about 80% recommended. Common problems that people listed with the 99's were rear window leaks, driveline noise and binding, engine stalls or hard starting. I've heard that there were many changes for 99, and if this is true of the drivetrain (all new), I would be somewhat nervous about buying - maybe I'll keep my eyes out for a 97 or 98. Anyone else? Hey CJDave, haven't you been working on a Grand in the last year or so? I haven't spent much time on the board in the last 6 mos or so, but I seem to recall some discussion about it.

Chuck
1995 YJ 4.0 5spd, 3" body lift, 32" Bridgestones (w/damn 3.07 gears), Durabak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 02:47 AM
chasejeep7

Hey chuckc,
I just bought a '93 GC. I've gotten most of my info and answers from http://www.jeepsunlimited.com gc forum. Just might help for feedback, b/c there are a lot more people dealing specifically with gc's. good luck

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:30 AM
Official Historian

I can give you a little transfercase 101. The quadratrac in the GC is built by New Process and does not even resemble the one built by borg warner in the 70's. The only way to convert the NP quadratrac to part time is to switch transfer cases. The quadradrive is an updated quadratrac transfer case and llimited slip differentials. The differential uses the oil pressure from a pump that only spins when the wheels are turning different speeds to engage the clutch plates. I forget which is which between commandtrac and selectrac but your best bet is to find one that has 2wd, 4wd part time, 4wd full time, neutral, and 4wd low on the transfer case shifter.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My mom has a 99 with 4.7 v8 and quadra-drive. It is the most comfortable suv I have ever driven or been in. The quadra-drive is a quantum leap ahead of quadra-trac. The quadra-trac full time 4wd used brake actived fulltime 4 wheel drive and quadra-drive is a clutch activated 4wd in the transfer case. The 4.7 is the best v8 I've driven in a jeep. It will smoke a 5.2 and run with a 5.9. She has 56k mi on it already and not a single problem. No leaks but their is a small amount of gear noise which is to be expected from any full time 4 wheel drive. After you've driven it for a while you don't even notice the noise though. If you can afford it get the 99 limited w/qd and v8, you won't be sorry. It is also the newer body style which looks 10 times better than a 98. As far as it having alot of new parts over the 98 that's true. But, the 4.7, the new transmission and the new qd full time system was all designed together specifically for the 99 GC. I love my mom's and already have dibs on it when she gets ready to get a new one.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_uploads/53-410266-blackeye.jpg[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would be interested in loosing the full time for a few reasons- better tire life, and gas milage. its not something that i am in a hurry to do mine has hea\ld up quite well with routine maintenence (this as i am sure you are aware-is the key to jeep life). I will have to check again on the conversion options, i thought i read that you could convert without changing the t-case, don't know for sure but iether way... (probably would cost about the same though, i am sure). but like i said they are a blast to drive and if it were for you i would sugggest looking at a retired grocery getter from 96-97 (better prices and leaves room for improvements), but for the girlfriend , i am sure she would like to drive one of newer variety.
p.s.
hope she lets you drive often :]

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode