I need a picture of the pulley area on 4.0 w/AC - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I need a picture of the pulley area on 4.0 w/AC

Can somebody who has a 91-95 YJ (or Cherokee I guess) with a 4.0L I-6, power steering and AC take a picture of their pulley layout for me? Particularly the idler pulleys and the mount for them. This is the last bit of info that I'm missing so I can finish the onboard air installation. I got the new longer serpentine belt but it needs a second idler pulley and I need to see how and where it mounts. Trip to the dealer did no good today. TJs with I-6 laid out totally differently and of course they don't have any 4.0 YJs sitting around. I'm desperate now so any info is appreciated. Thanks.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I need a picture of the pulley area on 4.0 w/AC

Try a Haynes manual or look at the parts screen at the dealer.

Just a suggestion

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 11:21 PM
Addict

I hope this helps.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks Bob, I appreciate your help. It is quiet different from my layout though. Is the compressor installed on this picture? Here are some pictures of my layout and the belt routing diagram. On this picture you can see the bracket the compressor should mount on. Although it's possible that the ones with AC had a different bracket and different layout. Your bracket is definitely different with the horizontal ears vs. the vertical holes mine has.

However, here's the belt routing diagram showing that the compressor should mount on that bracket and that there is an extra pulley that's required. So if anyone has this layout I'd need pictures of how the pulley attaches.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 03:55 PM
Addict

It looks like all you need is the one pulley.

Could yours be a bracket for the york compressor?

Mine was from an XJ, so that pulley that you need has a mount for a fan.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OK, I have the one that's marked 'Existing pulley' on the picture. The one I need is marked 'AC pulley' and it's just an idler pulley. The fan is attached to the middle big pulley that's on the right. As far as I know the York has side mounting holes, my bracket has vertical ones and the rotary compressor has horizontal ears. Is it confusing enough? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Actually, the bracket on yours looks like it would fit the rotary I have with the ears. Is there a compressor mounted on that picture?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:10 PM
Addict

No. It mounts right where you think it does.

Did that bracket come on your engine?

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yes, that's the stock bracket. One other thing: you can see on the picture that there are reinforcing gussets behind the existing idler pulley supporting the shaft. I don't see any similar area that would be for the second pulley. Logic has it that if they need reinforcing support for one pulley then the second one would need it too. That makes me wonder if this bracket really has no provision for a second pulley. The diagram makes it look simple, just add another pulley but it may need a different bracket to work. That's why I need a picture of the bracket/pulley area on a factory AC setup so I can verify if for sure. Course if I do need a different bracket then there is the question of where to get it and how much! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] All this trouble comes from the fact that I'm trying to mount two accessories: an air compressor and a second alternator. The combo v-belt pulley method would work for either one of these but I have to use the serpentine setup for the other one. Unless I somehow figure out a way to run two v-belts off of something but then there is the issue of the compressor having a serpentine pulley clutch. Darn, I thought it'd be a little easier than this ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode