Swapping a 95 Cherokee 4.0L into a CJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Swapping a 95 Cherokee 4.0L into a CJ??

OK so I am at work today and my dad waltzs in and says he has crashed his cherokee again Only third time in the past three years. Except this time it is for good. I went to look at it and it is beyond totaled. But then again I supose that is what happens when you roll it over an embankment. Well thankfully he walked away with only a very minor scratch. But with the total of the cherokee and my dying Chevy 305 I was wonderng how hard it is to swap his inline 6 into the CJ-7 and also is it worth it? I have a T-4 tranny so I know I will need to get a new bellhousing, as well as some new motor mounts. And now I think about it a new high pressure fuel sender.
My 305 is starting to get some blow by and is leaking from a couple gaskets. I also believe it is unbalanced some because it seems to wobble a little when running. I also know I need a new carb. So is it worth it to rebuild and repair the V-8 or swap the the reliable I6. My dad has been in so many accidents the engine was totally replaced 6 months ago so it is basicly brand new.
Sorry about the rambling.
One last question, anyone have any idea what the buy back price owuld be for the cherokee???
Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Swapping a 95 Cherokee 4.0L into a CJ??

What tranny is in the XJ? And how many miles?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It has an auto tranny in it. I will have to try and find out what kind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is an AW4 transmission which is a four speed auto with overdrive.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Too bad the XJ wasn't a stick, everything would bolt in perfectly. You would have to change your purches back to the ones for the 258. The 4.0 will work nice, but I wouldn't spend any money trying to get the t-4 to mate to it. I am suprised that the t-4 is holding up behind your 305! If you could find or trade an AX-15, everything should be fine, except for the pcm, flywheel, fuel pump, and exhaust.

Since you already have the Chevy, I would sell or trade the XJ drivetrain for a cheap rebuilt 350, and think about the future of your tranny.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My tranny is starting to grenade as is like you said behind the 305. I can smell the clutch burning almost all the time now after any length of drive. I am just trying to get the jeep to last till fall. I get some money then and plan on doing a lot of engine work then. But who knows. I think I will thin about what you said and try to sell off the stuff from the jeep
that is if the buy back price isn't too much
I have no idea how much it will be. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode