304 Header / Exhaust Systems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

304 Header / Exhaust Systems

i'm about to order some headers for a '79 304, if anyone has any suggestions please pass them on. i'm looking at the Hedman Fenderwell Headers in the 4 Wheel Drive Hardware Catalog for $139.95, if anybody has input or experience with the Hedman's please let me know. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks Scott...

My Rides
1979 CJ: 304, 3spd, tires, rust, miles
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 304 Header / Exhaust Systems

Hey, they have the same headers at summitt racing for 99.95 and the shipping is cheaper.I just bought a set for my 360.They do however seem kind of thin and the paint is already peeling off and I havent even fired it up yet.But you get what you pay for..good luck.

If you can still move you ain't stuck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:18 PM

I bought Hedman headers from 4wd hardware and they also look cheap. The flat black spray paint was scuffed off in many places and the flanges are 1/4" instead of the preferred 3/8". I bought the in frame set and they fit real well but are not worth the money I donít think.
The real pisser is that Summit has their warehouse right here in Reno. I didnít think to check themÖoh well.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got fenderwell headers on my 304. I'd never do it again. They are totally in the way, low, and vulnerable. It forces you to turnout the exhaust out before the rear tire...which in turn gasses out you and the rear passengers at certain speeds. I'd definetly go with either A)stock manifolds...or b) in the frame headers...with the exhaust tucked neatly out of the way in between the frame. The fenderwell headers sound great...but they suck for practicality. Oh, one other problem. Want to build nerf bars attached to the frame with fenderwell headers? Fuhgetaboudit!

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:49 PM
Official Historian

I didn't have headers, but my exhaust used to exit just in front of the rear tire. I now have pipes inside the frame all the way to the rear. I will never have the exhaust to the sides again.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-427370-myjeep.JPG (28.5 KB, 0 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 11:30 PM

Check the J.C.Whitney website. They have an entire header/exhaust system for CJs with 304s at a reasonable price. I believe they are Pacesetter headers, but you should double-check on that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode