Doing the Rings -> 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doing the Rings -> 258

Has anyone done a right up on replacing the rings on my 258? I've never taken on such a project. My babys sick and she's getting worse

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Doing the Rings -> 258

Just doing rings on a worn out motor is a band aid fix that isn't going to get you anywhere. Do it right and rebuild it. If you do most of the work yourself except for the machine work, you should be able to do it for under a grand, we just did mine last Sept. and even with extras it was right around a grand.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:01 PM

The job itself is not extremely difficult, and will bring a new long life if done correctly. i am almost done rebuilding my 304, and so far so good. i highly recommend getting a hold of a Jeep service manual for your model and taking it slow. If you have any about questions about parts or precedures get in touch with me. Also, be sure its the rings before you get started. How many miles on the engine? Have someone correctly perform a cylinder leak-down pressure test, definitely worth the time or money, you should hear ring blow by coming through the valve cover with the oil filler cap removed. Godd luck, Scott

My Rides
1979 CJ: 304, 3spd, tires, rust, miles
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:04 PM

Brad's warning is dead on! New rings do not equal new engine, the correct rebuild takes time and money, but should end up being well worth it.

Scott

My Rides
1979 CJ: 304, 3spd, tires, rust, miles
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sr.

You might want to check out some of the different levels of rebuild kits available from local parts stores or in some of the 4wheeler mags. But for sure spend the bucks and do it all and take your time.I'm in the process of going thru mine......just waitin on the money, and the machine shop.

Edder

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to pull the head and pan and ream the ridge at the top of the cylinders to get the pistons out. then you need to hone the cyl. walls with a ball hone. You want to keep all the parts in the same exact order, and very clean. You will need a ridge reamer, ring expander, ring compressor, hone, torque wrench and some rubber hose (to protect the rod journals)... You may want to buy oversize rings and file them to the proper size to get a better seal.
Just get a book on basic engine repair, and it will cover the basics. Personally I would rather see someone just re-ring a 258 than rebuild it, since they seem to wear out pretty fast either way, and it cost a bunch to "do it right"

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I disagree with the 258 wearing out quickly. I had 150,000 on mine when I rebuilt it and then the only reason I did it was because I wanted to add some horses the engine still ran great. I have put another 70-80,000 miles on it since the rebuild and it is still running great and I am not known to be the easiest on equipment. My 258 regularly sees 3000, 3500, and even 4000 RPMs and I have no problems with it, if it is done right and maintained it will last forever.

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Damn near every 258 I've seen in the last 20 years is slobbering all over itself, If thats not a sign, then what is ?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Come on, the 258 is one of the most durable engines ever made. Mine had 143K on it when I removed it, ran fine, only reason I did it was I had an opportunity for a free rebuild and install. That same engine now resides in a CJ-7 rock crawl buggy of a friend of mine, and runs great. The engine I replace mine with had 150K on it, ran fine when it was removed from another friends Jeep, he pulled it to go V8. The ONLY thing that really wears out in any quick fashion is the timing chain, but that is an easy replace. The compression on both my motors was within 5 on all cylinders, I don't remember the numbers, but it was well within what you would want. And on top of all this, the 7 main bearing design gives the 258 a bulletproof bottom end. The slobbering referred to in a previous post if it is due to engine wear is either VERY high mileage or poor preventive maintenance, ANY motor will die and early death if not maintained properly.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got 250,000. on her but the motor was rebuilt last year according to the ford dealer the myfriend got the jeep from befor I got her. But thay said the same about that dam carter I know that the smoke coming out of the valve cover smells alot like exuast. and I'm getting big time oil every were as others have said the slober effect I haven't done a compresion test yet and I've been told that it could be the pcv system. I dont now if thats true or not but it sure looks like a lot of back pressure

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode