Considering used engine purch need advise :) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Considering used engine purch need advise :)

OK - there is a guy around here selling a 304V8 for a pretty reasonable price. The engine is out of the Jeep & he says that it ran good when they took it out & it has about 75K on it.

I guess what I'm asking is people's experiences on buying engines that you can't hear run. How would you check it out - any tips on what to do, etc.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:09 PM
jeepfiend

Re: Considering used engine purch need advise :)

I have pulled plugs and turned the crank to see how everything feels. I try to never pay more than core price for a questionable engine, and I always plan on at least a gasket kit in my engine budget. Even though he says it runs, it never hurts to pull the pan, and the heads just make sure that everything is in the right place. I looked at an engine that supposedly ran when it was pulled, but the owner had been into it since it was pulled, and half of the connecting rod bolts were broken off. I don't think he understood the whole righty tighty, lefty loosey principle. I would see if you can pull the pan and the valve covers and make sure it is not just a big chunk of rust inside.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mel - I have alot of experience buying stuff from a guy down in your neck of the woods. He's in New Brighton. I bought my jeep from him(you might even know the guy who used to own it). If your in need of an engine he might have one. Let me know if you need his name & #. If your just looking at this one for the price, I,too, would not pay more than core costs. Other than ripping into it, there's no good way to tell what your getting.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:55 PM

$100 TOPS and thats if its complete with acceories, but thats treally too much because you could tak ehte same risk with a 360 for the same money?

I personally wouldnt spend over $50 without hearing one run, and the guy would have to talk good, and the engine look clean and plugs, and pans check out ok to pay $50 for one that doesnt run, but im really cheap, and really skeptical.

look for a 360 instead

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:25 PM

There is a diagnostic test called a cylinder leak down test. If you have access to pressurized air, you can pick up a leak down tester. Basically, you set the engine to top dead center, remove the #1 spark plug for that cylinder and use a fitting to pump controlled air into the cylinder. The beauty of this method is that you can find just about any internal problems that might suprise you before disassembly. If the rings are bad, you'll hear blow by past the rings, through the oil pan, up top by the oil filler, or through the valve covers. Bad/Burnt intake or exhaust valves will show up by air coming out of the carb, or exhaust. The point is, a good tight engine should not let the air out of the combustion chamber.
You can also check oil pressure easily in the 304 by hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the sender unit, removing the distiributor, and spinning the oil pump with a screwdriver end via drill. This will let you know what kind of main, rod, and cam bearing condition to expect.
This may be more detail than necessary, but you will definitely know everything about the engine without disassembly. Depending on your mechanical and engine repair ability, please be careful doing these diagnostic tests. Ask someone if you are unsure to avoid damage to yourself and the engine. Let me know if i can help. Scott

My Rides
1979 CJ: 304, 3spd, tires, rust, miles
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Be leary of used engines that ran good when removed. The engine on my Scrambler project was supposedly a good runner when the guy began disassembly. By the time I got it about 1 year later the engine was so rusted that I had a hard time believing that it ever ran. I am looking for a replacement right now. I will only be purchasing an engine that is running and still in the vehicle. Also make sure you get a warranty. In my opinion it is not worth the hassle of getting a bad engine that has to be replaced if you save a hundred bucks. Those engines are heavy and they are hard to get rid of if you don't use them as a core for replacement.

Later,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:15 PM

Tom says hard to get rid of a dead block.
well I stripped my worn out 304, consumed several beers then broke my ass loading hte bare block into my truck, the next day after work the local scrap yard gave me a total of $4.62 for the bare 304 block, and a few pounds of various other scrap.

so thats the bottom of the price curve. :+)

OzarkJeep

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not really worth the effort.... LOL

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:43 PM

If it were up to me Tom, I would have lef tit in the yard, I tried to tell the wife she could plant flowers in teh cylinders and everything, no dice.

and I must say I eventually got tired of walking around it, and moving it, I was VERY happy to get the gas money for hauling it away!

OzarkJeep

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode