The Misadventures of Joey - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:54 PM
jeepfiend

The Misadventures of Joey

In Joey's recent posts he has been contemplating the sale of his CJ5. I think that this would be an absolute travesty! Joey, you would be doing yourself and the whole BBS a great disservice[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Where else can we turn for real life hap-hazard adventures such as yours[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Reading your posts takes me back to my early days of wrenching. I remember setting a 66' CJ5 on fire[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] because I didn't know about the odd firing pattern (my dad promptly put the fire out with a nearby tarp no harm done). I remember filling my drivetrain with mucky water when I was in high school. I think back on some of my early attempts at body work[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. Not so different from Joey.
Joey, I hate to tell you this, but there isn't any other vehicle that will relish the abuse you seem to regularly dish out. Even a newer four wheel drive will break[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] if you treat it the same as your CJ. I am also fairly sure that you will regret the sale of the CJ. There isn't a Jeep I have sold that I don't miss. I wish I could have all of them back. Joey, keep your chin up and make that Dad of yours show you how to pack bearings. Working on your own vehicle can be very rewarding[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img], and it makes you less dependent on others (always a good thing).

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The Misadventures of Joey

Joey don't sell your jeep I garrantee you that you will regret it if you do.No matter what vehicle you get it will need work done on it especially considering that you are young and into off roading.You at least have this board and a lot of very knowledgeable guys here to ask advice from when you run into problems.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Joey, you can't do it. Don't sell your beloved Jeep.
I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the paint job when your done. I think everyone has been in your shoes before.
I got my brothers 4x4 stuck one night that I borrowed it when he was out of town. I got it stuck and had to walk 3 miles to call for a cab to take us to my buddies house to borrow his dad's van (We thought it could pull us out). It turns out that another friend passes us on the way in a truck and he could barely get us out. Then I had to wash it before I got home so that my parents wouldn't know and tell my brother.
When your older, you'll look back on this time with your Jeep and it'll be one of the best times of your life.

80 CJ7 258 T176
36X12.5 Swampers
Fiberglass body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:33 PM

Jeepfiend, another great post. As far as I got was to read the title of this on the main board and my wife had to come in ansee what I was LMAO about. He's right Joey, each and everyone of us has been right where you're at now. Don't sell your jeep. Consider it cheap schooling.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A friend of mine sold his jeep almost 20 years ago,,,,he was strapped for cash and he figured he could sell his CJ5 so he could get his wife off his back. You see, she wanted to buy some carpet for their front room, and would nag him about how much money/time he spent on his jeep,,,Needless to say, the carpet that jeep was sold for, is now long gone,,so is that house,,,in fact, that wife is too. However, to this day, he moans and groans about how he should have NEVER sold his Jeep,,,and I can't tell you how many times I've heard him say he wishes he could get "his" jeep back,,,,Not one word though, about the wife, the house, or the carpet...
Just another something you may want to keep in mind Joey.

DrummondCJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Joey,

Tis true what everybody says! EVERYWHERE I go, I run into somebody who invaribly asks "what year Jeep?" whereupon I learn about the Jeep they had and had to sell and how they have regreted it ever since.

Of all my friends in HS, I am teh only one with the same vehicle I had then and that was OVER five years ago. I have learned more lessons and felt more attachment to that little POS Jeep I have than all my years in college or HS combined. In fact, I fully see myself handing the keys to my little CJ to my eldest child when he/she has proven to me that they can care for and benefit from such a vehicle. By then, I hope to have had my little CJ rebuilt from ground up and tested...as always teaching me more.

Don't let go of such an oppurtunity. You can always buy another Jeep, but it will be just that...another Jeep.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ExtinctJeep,

I understand and agree with almost everything you said, except for
"In fact, I fully see myself handing the keys to my little CJ to my eldest child when he/she has proven to me that they can care for and benefit from such a vehicle."
I can see me telling my eldest "build your own!" HAHA
I have spent so much time with my dad building different vehicles. It has been great and I would not trade it for the world. When I have kids plan on doing the same thing as my dad, buying a vehicle ie. a Jeep, or a Jeep, or a Jeep you get the idea, and building it together.

'95 Cherokee; '86 CJ-7, HEI upgrade
'84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '84 CJ-10a, running stock; '85 CJ-10a, needs alt & vacuum pump.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 05:00 PM

joey, think of how this will affect your life in the long-run. misery brings out the best in us, make us stronger, and then we get to laugh about it later! i bought my first cj-7 on jan 1 1996. 1 week later i had to drive it in 0º weather and snowstorm 3 hours to school (Purdue). Oh, the heater didn't work. i thought i was going to die. but now, i look back and enjoy the times i spent with the jeep. i also worked 3 jobs one summer so i could afford 3 things: 1) to go back to school in the fall. 2) to buy parts for my jeep. 3) to pay for the gas i used to drive to the 3 jobs. i could have sold the jeep and bought a car and only worked one job and spent the rest of my time watching TV, but i didn't. currently that jeep needs to be parted out. but i just can't bring myself to it. hope this helps!!! matt

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:53 PM

Joey I bought my CJ5 go when I was 17. That was 18 years ago. And like the other posts, I am the only guy fron HS and college to have the same vehicle. I am in the midst of a frame up rebuild. Officially rebuilding everything now instead of the millions of times that were "just" major fixes. I read your other post on the chicks and four wheeling. Yeah we've all broke stuff with chicks and/or beer. Keep the Jeep. My wife has put up with the thing for 13 years. It has been in the garage tore up for 3 years. The kids even hang their toys on mine! If you sell you will be selling off a huge part of you. By your posts I can tell it is in your blood. I would rather have Jeep in my blood than the tons of other stuff that will pollute you.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Joey,
Dont do it. I bought my Wrangler when I 15 years old, that was 9 years ago. I now consider myself a failry good back yard mechanic, when I bought it changing spark plugs was a challenge, now there is nothing that I wont tackle. I have learned all that I know about vehicles from working on my Jeep. And there are more memories in that thing than I can remember. Driving home from the beach in the pouring rain (4 hrs) with no top, the distributor gear giving out at 3:00am in -10 dgree weather hours from home, loosing the breaks on a winding dirt road(going way to fast), there was the incident with the police (they dont like 7 people in a jeep), and the time that we wear swimming in the farmers pond and...well no wait this is a public forum can mention that. Everyone I know associates me with that jeep, even people I havent seen in years ask me if I still have it, of course I do. I dont know what I would do with my time if I didnt have that Jeep, I could be driving a very nice late model car for what I have spent on it, but then I would be just like everyone else. I love showing up to formal affairs in my well built and worn YJ when everyone else is driving luxury cars and the fact that all I need to do to get someones attention is press my right foot down (headers and hollow cherry bombs do that). I can't imagine life without that Jeep, dont do it Joey you will regret it!!!!!!!!! My Fiance used to give me all kinds of grief over all the time I spent with the Jeep, she made the comment one time that something had to go, her or the Jeep, boy do I enjoy being single again. :0)

Kris

I do the same thing every weekend, its just the location where I do it that changes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode