Off Roading Forums banner

Got PTO setup, have questions.

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CJDave 
#1 ·
I was out in a junkyard on Saturday looking for items, when I spotted a BIG truck (5 ton or better) on it's side. The rear axle and engine were missing, but it had the 2WD tranny in there. Attached to it was a PTO setup, so I looked closer, yep, SM465. I asked the guy what he wanted, and he responded, "Well, those are getting harder to find, so I'm gonna have to get $25 for it." It took me 2 hours to get it off (didn't have the right tools, but wasn't going to leave it to get them), but I finally did. It has the shifter and PTO shaft attached, and even the rod to engage it from the front/rear of a vehicle. It was facing out the rear, but looks like it'll come apart easily to run out the front.

Here is my question, should I run it front or rear? I have a Ramsey REP 8000 for the front, but I know it's a permanent magnet motor, and I have a Zuki that needs a winch. I don't have a PTO winch yet, but they are a lot cheaper than the electrics and I come across them all the time. I'd like to have an 8274, but don't have the cash for it, maybe a few years down the road.

I spoke to my younger brother, who has runa PTO winch on his Scout, and he said they're very strong but fairly slow, even in top gear. The obvious drawback is the jeep has to be running, but what about using it and driving forward at the same time?

Anyone out there run a PTO winch?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I don't have a PTO winch, but I have driven a lot of dump truck with a PTO driven hydraulic pump (same as the winches). As far as where the shaft comes out, it just depends on where you want to mount the hydraulic pump. The dump trucks can be driven forward while the bed raises. On most of the set-ups we have run, the PTO is engaged seperately from the hyd. pump. I would guess that it would be the same for the winches. I would bet that CJDave would know something about this. On all of the big trucks I have driven, the PTO can be engaged while you drive forward, just remember that it is disengage whenever you push in the clutch. A thought just occured to me. I bet the reason the PTO winches are cheaper is because of all the other things you have to have; PTO, hydraulic pump, hoses, etc. Sounds like a good find on the PTO, I wish I had one for my 77' Chevy.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

G
#3 ·
I have one that came with a 465-205 combo I bought. Has the PTO unit, shaft, and winch (older ramsey 8000). The whole works only cost $300!! What a steal. It's going on my 86 fullsize chevy, but havn't gotten it there yet. I'm planning to stick it in the back, since I have a plow on the front, and would most likely be needing a pull backwards. I was pondering the idea of a hydro for the front that runs off my plow controls for use when the plow isn't there. My father has a PTO winch on his tractor (37 Chevy 2-ton, 250, 2x 3-speeds). It's slow, damn slow but tough. We've moved some pretty big logs (cars, trucks, boats and everything else) with no problem. On my fullsize truck, I'm willing to give up speed for the endless power and the comfort knowing that it WILL get me out. I just don't feel comfortable with an electric on a 3/4 ton plow truck!?! As for a Jeep, I'm not sure it matters.

G
#4 ·
On my 465/205 combo, I have the option of mounting it to the tranny or xfer. I have been told that the tranny PTO output is before the gear selector, meaning that you only have one speed - determined by RPM. On the xfer, you are after the tranny, which give you gear selection to determine speed as well as RPM. BUt on the xfer, the tranny has to be in gear and the xfer in neutral if you don't want to move.

G
#5 ·
How was your business trip, Mark? As for the PTO, I'd do some fabricating and mount it down. Make a simple hydrolic attachment like a huge nail (pointing up and attaching to the PTO at the tip) with a big flat head and slip shaft. At the flick of a switch and the pull of a lever, the Jeep (or Zuk) would be lifted off the ground by the hydrolic shaft, and then the PTO would spin the Jeep in-place! Then, if you get stuck, you could just raise the Jeep, spin around, drop it back down and drive straight out the way you came in! AND...you'd only need a winch on one end! The possibilities are endless! I'm gonna be rich!

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies

#6 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif There are actually two different "PTO" arrangements, one which is like the box you just snatched off the truck, and the other is a "Wet Kit" which is a tranny-mounted PTO/Pump setup that is all one unit. The dump truck fabricators like them because there is no shaft to run anywhere. We did have a truck where the PTO was mounted on the Brownie and used what they called a "Power Tower" that replaced the top plate of the gearbox and was geared to the main input gear. Those were for taking very high HP off the PTO. If you can drive the PTO off the transfer case, DO IT, because as was mentioned, you can run the main box in any gear and get more line speed. Otherwise, it is only one speed. There ARE two-speed PTO's but if you put one of those units on your Jeep it would tip over sideways from the weight./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Do you have a Fwd-Rev PTO?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Quadra-Trac Team./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.