wheel offset - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wheel offset

I was planning on a full width waggie axle swap on the postal (Kinda narrow and top heavy)so I don't roll the thing, but it doesn't look like the cash flow is there right now. I was thinking about getting wheels with a different offset/less backspacing. Would this help widen my stance? I'm thinking about an inch to an inch and a half on each side would help out quite a bit.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:06 PM

Re: wheel offset

Before you start spacing the wheels out, remember that the more you push the wheels out the more beating your wheel bearings take. Which axles are under the postal now?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

front doesn't have one- two wheel drive. I think they're the same drums/bearings as a dana 30. The rear has a dana 44.

<font color=orange>--Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs at you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:29 PM

I thought you converted it to 4wd(my mistake). I used to PM those jeeps for a post office at the shop I once worked at. But now we are getting off topic. I wouldnt get a rim that sticks out more than 1" past original just to be on the safe side.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nope, still working on the conversion. The tranny's going, so that's eating some of my funds, and I'm in the middle of finals, so that's eating up my time. I still haven't picked up all of the parts yet, and I'm going to wait until I have everything together before I start so the wifey only has to nag about the jeep torn apart once instead of during the motor swap, the tranny swap, and the 4x conversion. I'm hoping to be able to knock it all out in a week, but with my luck it'll take two. What about wheel spacer plates? Anyone have experience with those? I've heard about strength/durability problems, but I'm only going to be running the stock 232 ci motor (can't afford the gas on anything bigger....yet)with a 4.0 head, so I won't have a whole lot of power. Oh yeah, and 3.73 gears(again, sacrificing performance for the gasoline gods).

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Increasing the wheel offset will also increase your scrub radius. The tire isn't pivoting anywhere near the center of the tire, instead it's pivoting somewhere closer to the inside edge of the tire. The tire isn't pivoting anymore, its scuffing. This puts additional stress on the steering components, tierod ends, steering box, and not just the wheel bearings.

You will get better performance with a wider axle and tires with less offset.
Here are a couple reference sites about scrub radius.
http://www.smasa.com.au/documents/ar...ub_radius.html
www.sae.org/automag/scrubradius/
http://www.supaquick.com/alignment/g...nclination.htm
www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:45 PM
Official Historian

So theoretically, when you put a larger diameter tire on, you should move it out slightly so the center of the tread is still in line with the ball joints, right?

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode