worn cam? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 11:07 AM
Leigh_Smith

worn cam?

I have eliminated about 90% of the popping through the carb. One shop put on a new plastic fuel filter and crushed the nipple with the hose clamp. Popping was horrible but most went away with a new filter.
My question is this: If the lobes on my cam were excessively worn, would that cause popping? A friend says yes and the jeep has little power at first but is ok above 2500. I will probably check this in depth with a dial indicator b4 I rip a cam out. It is a comp 260h and it looked ok 3 yrs ago wien i rebuilt the motor.

Any thoughts??

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: worn cam?

It could be...
Some aftermarket cams are infamous for wearing out quickly. A lot of them are re-grinds and they tend not to be well-hardened. Some of them also are only engineered for lift and not longevity, so they tend to destroy themselves and the lifters after as little as 10-20k miles. I don't know if you can do this on your engine, but on my Buick V6 I can visually inspect the camshaft and lifters by taking off the intake manifold. (It's easy on my engine, the distributor doesn't pass through it).
Another thought is that your timing chain may have too much slack and the valve timing is sloppy at low rpm's. Put a timing light on it and make sure the timing doesn't jump around at idle (disconnect the vac advance first). If it does jump around, either your chain is bad or your distributor is. Get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to mainifold vacuum. The little pamphlet that comes with it will tell you how to read it. If the vacuum jumps around a lot at idle it is a good indication that something is amiss. With a vacuum gauge you can troubleshoot a bad mixture or a bad cylinder or many bad cylinders, and depending on how the needle moves bad valves/cam or bad rings. My vacuum gauge oscillates a bit at idle and I know from the way my engine behaves that the timing chain is getting sloppy. Buick 225's are notorious for eating them due to their odd firing order. When it gets worse I will tear into it and fix it. I can tell that the water pump wants to spring a leak soon, so when it does I will just do everything.

I hope this helps,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode