What do these suckers weigh? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do these suckers weigh?

I'm playing with springs on my scrambler and want to know some stats!! Seeing how mine was burnt to the ground when I found it, I dont have the gvw sticker to tell me what it wieghs..Or at least what it is suppsoed to weigh!! What I want to know is the weight of a scrambler vs the weight of a waggy with a v8 and d44's under it...I figure my scrambler should weigh close to the waggy with the v8/winch/ other doodads..

It's as close to a 1ton as it can get and still be a jeep!!! Gotta love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:49 AM

Re: What do these suckers weigh?

Even with the winch and stuff, you would be amazed how much less your scrambler weighs. Waggys have power every thing, sound deadener, insulation, and much more. Plus the gvw sticker only tells you how much the hehicle should weigh with it fully loaded(passengers/cargo/trailer tounge weight). The best bet is to just find a junk yard near by with a scale.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeh, but I'm at work and bored to tears!!! The scram. has d60's>>38's and all chevy motor,tranny / t-case..I figure from the springs up it should weigh fairly close. I've been running waggy springs on it for quite a while, but I bent one last week..I was just curiose if the springs were rated close to what I have them under....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:03 AM

with the weight of the axles and tires, the scram may weigh as much total. But for sprung weight(the weight obove the axles) I believe the body would weigh less.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 60s won't affect the springs because they are un-sprung weight. I haven't seen your jeep but I know it's hard to get them under 4000 lbs. if you have many goodies. The only way really tell is to drive it like you want to, and notice how often it bottoms, and if it rides well, a occasional bottom when baja'n is acceptable as it means that you are useing the full travel on the hard bumps...Just make sure you have the bumpstops in the right place...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They do work really well for what I do with the thing, I was just wondering how close they were with the weight I have. I figure I wear on them pretty good by inverting them, but thats the way it has to be as far as I'm concerned. I just wish I could get the second leaf wrapped around both ends so I wont be bending them as easy.I found a place in Dallas, but he want $85 per side for just the one spring!! Doesnt that sound kinda high?? That is just one spring, not the whole pack and that is me taking the springs to him!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They shouldn't bend if the stops are in the right place...I take the pack apart and cycle the suspension with only the main leaf in place (I make a spacer out of wood so I can use the u-bolts to cinch it tight to the axle), then I can check the shock and bumpstop measurements at full crunch and full droop.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm running the springs in a spoa.They only have about 2in. before they run flat, so in order to get the flex it can use they have to invert.I know it isnt good on them, but the only problem I've really had with them is fanning out under droop. The stock clamps cant really stand the unsprung weight I have. I'm going to get some rivets to make my own clamps with tonight and hopfully that will help hold the second leaf tighter to the first. I'm basically using my shocks for bumpstops, I hardly ever use the full compression unless it's really tweaked.It's fun catching air, but thats a rarity for me....At least the baja type anyway!! I'm pretty sure thats why they bent in the first place, I had to get out of the wash I was in and it was with mass quantities of throttle & air!! Backing out wasnt in the plans!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh my ! shocks for bumpstops ! You are asking for trouble man. I like to leave at least 1/2" of shock travel after the bumpstop has collasped fully. The problem is that when the shock mount breaks off there will be nothing to save the rest of the suspension from self destructing, I've seen it many times.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know what you mean, I've been there done that myself..Like I said though, I rarly bottom the thing out..Since the 60 install, I havent put the bumpstops back on yet.. I'm pretty good a fabricating stuff, so I believe my shock towers will take the frame out before they will break but!!!!!Who knows...The springs usually wont go much further up and I end up with around a 1/4 in. of shock leftover..Just for safe keeping though, I'll put them back under it today when I replace the springs!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode