TJ Problem. Please advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ Problem. Please advice

Hey all,

I have a 97 TJ SE. Last night coming home from the girlfriends house i noticed a problem. It seems to "buck" once in a while. I have a 5spd manual trans by the way not an automatic.

I happened maybe 3 times. I would be driving down the highway and it would feel as if it was an automatic trans shifting.. This morning on the way to work it did it a few times again. Normally around 50mph. This time I noticed that the RPMs go up when it happens. Twice it went to 6grand and then back to normal. It didn't sound like the motor got to 6 grand though. (its hard to tell, my tires are so freak'en loud)

Does anybody know what could cause this? The jeep hasn't been offroad for a while, The only thing I have done to it lately are shocks and tcase fluid. So I am kinda stumped.

What should I take a look at?

Thanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:33 AM

Re: TJ Problem. Please advice

I doubt your engine shot to six grand(it could have though indicating a bad clutch). To eliminate the drivetrain, start the jeep and drive it so everything is warm. Park it on flat ground in your driveway and apply the parking brake. Put you trans in 5th gear and bring your rpms up to about 2 grand. Let up the clutch(and only do this once to avoid burning it up) if the engine stalls, the clutch is good if not, well you gett the idea.

After testing the clutch, the only thing I could recomend is the dealer or a qualified mechanic to check the ignition system. If the ignition is screwed up it would cause the tach to malfunction and maybe make the engine stall while cruising.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:00 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Didd you do the engine diagnostic check to see if you have a problem listed? To check it do a search, I posted the procedure about a month ago.

My guess is the TPS. Ours had the TPS go and it sounds like the same problem.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 10:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, what was the subject called? I wasn't able to find anything.

I am not a machanic but I don't think its the clutch. The tach goes up but I don't feel the motor rpms, go way up. When it went to 6grand, I didn't hear the motor over the tires.

I will have to get it checked out. THanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just something you may want to try. The fuel filter. I doubt it is that but it is a cheap fix.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:08 PM
Old Hand

<table width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="10" bordercolor="#174E9A">
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">11</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%">

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking.

Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">CKP sensor target windows have too much variation. </font></p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">12</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 Key-on cycles.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">13</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">No difference recognized between the engine MAP reading and the barometric (atmosphere) pressure reading from start-up.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">14</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">
MAP sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.

5 volt output to MAP sensor open.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">15</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">No vehicle speed sensor signal detected during road load conditions.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">17</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Engine did not reach operating temperature within acceptable limits.

Engine does not reach 20 F. within 5 minutes with a vehicle
speed signal.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">21</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%">

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency.

Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream)</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature. </font></p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">22</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Engine coolant temperature sensor above or below acceptable voltage.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">23</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Intake air temperature sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">24</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Throttle position sensor input above or below acceptable voltage.

TPS signal does not correlate to MAP sensor.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">25</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A shorted or open condition detected in one or more of the idle air control motor circuits.

Actual idle speed does not equal target idle speed.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">27</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Injector #3, and/or 4, and/or 5, and/or 6 output driver does not respond properly to the control signal.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">31</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch relay circuit.

Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">33</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the duty cycle purge solenoid circuit.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">34</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the Speed Control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits.

Speed control switch input below the minimum acceptable voltage</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">37</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed indicates no torque converter clutch engagement. Auto. only.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">37</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the torque converter part throttle unlock solenoid control circuit. (3 speed auto RH trans. Only).

Incorrect input state detected for the Park/Neutral switch. Auto. only. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">41</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition in the generator field control circuit.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%" height="146">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">42</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%" height="146">

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit.

An open condition detected in the ASD relay output cicuit.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. </font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit.</font></p>

<font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">No movement of fuel level sender detected. </font></p>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">43</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Peak primary circuit current not achieved with maximum dwell time.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">43</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Misfire detected in one or more cylinders 1 thru 6. (4 and 6 cyls.)</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">44</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Battery temperature sensor in voltage above or below acceptable range. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">46</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Battery voltage sense input above target charging voltage during engine operation. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">47</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Battery voltage sense input below target charging during engine operation. Also, no significant change detected in battery voltage during active test of generator output circuit. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">51</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A lean air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">52</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally rich correction factor.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">53</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">PCM Internal fault condition detected.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">54</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking. </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">55</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Completion of fault code display on Check Engine lamp.</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">63</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Unsuccessful attempt to write to an EEPROM location by the PCM..</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">64</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 72) </font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">65</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Power steering high pressure seen at high speed. (2.5L only)</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">72</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Catalyst efficiency below required level. (Same as code 64)</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="1%">
<div align="center"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">77</font></div>
</td>
<td width="99%"><font color="#174E9A" size="2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Malfunction detected with poser feed to speed control servo solenoids.</font></td>
</tr>
</table>

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey,

Forgive me for asking or sounding dumb, but what do I do with this info?

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:56 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I posted this awhile ago.

OK, on the '97, here is how you check the codes.

Cycle the key On-Off-On-Off-On within 5 seconds.

Count the number of times the MIL (check engine lamp) flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual two digit codes.

You can also use the odometer, which will display the codes. Each number will be displayed with a slight delay between the numbers.

A code 55 will always be the last code seen, it indicates a "Completion of the fault codes".

It was posted under <font color=blue> 97 tj sport gears and idle </font color=blue> by JEEP TJ1062.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:23 AM
Old Hand

Oops,

Sorry JerseyWheeler, I forgot to include that info. I really must brush up my html... It looked ok in the preview, but in the actual post there is a large gap in the top of the post.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 07:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your help. I did try it but there weren't any codes. It must be something electricial. Could it be a bad plug wire or something to do with timing? Cause the tach jumps around when it happens - the rpms don't go up though. It feels like its starving for fuel when it happens.

Thanks.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode