95 YJ Shackles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

95 YJ Shackles

I have a 95 YJ and want to put greasable shackles on it.
The ones I'm looking at are 1" longer. Will this affect steering (caster) and other alignments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 05:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:24 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: 95 YJ Shackles

1" longer is what I've got on my YJ, and is about as long as I'd recommend going. Rob is right, it will change your front and rear axle angles slightly, but shouldn't be a major problem, in my opinion. Usually, it is the really long ones, like 2.5" longer, for 1.25" lift, that are problematic in this regard.

However, if you are concerned about it, you can buy just the greaseable bolts and bushings, and put them in with your stock shackles, I think. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Of course, some YJs will have a vibration in the rear driveshaft just as they are, and all jeeps are different in this regard too. All you can do is try. If you don't like the way they feel, or don't like the way your jeep steers or handles, you can take them back off, or just use the bushings and greasable bolts with your stock 2-piece shackles.

This is kinda a gray area, and some people will say that they notice the difference, and some people won't. Just remember, this is a modification to your Jeep, and it may handle differently.

It does not effect your front end alignment, due to the design of the steering linkage on a YJ. It may change the position of your steering wheel when your wheels are straight, but I don't think only a 1/2" of lift will be that big of a change. Lay down underneath the front of your jeep and stare at the steering components and you will see how this works.

Good luck
Just my opinion,
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:38 AM
Old Hand

Re: 95 YJ Shackles

Hi,

I just put 1 3/4" Con-Ferrs on my CJ. I have some bumpsteer now, but not that much and also noticed that it wanders more in a straight line. What happens is that the longer shackles in the front slightly rotate your axleforward, which decreases the caster. I'll probably get myself some degree wedges to correct this.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode