replacing cj windshield - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

replacing cj windshield

i need to put new glass in my CJ. my rubber is good but the glass is cracked and when I bought my jeep the guy gave me tons of parts and included was a brand new windshield. Is this something I should try myself. There doesnt look like much to it but I wanted to ask before i try. anybody out there have any advice on making this as painless as possible. the local glass shops want at least $50 to put it in.

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:39 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: replacing cj windshield

This what I understand. Take out the old windshield. That should be easy. Test fit the glass with a friend. If it fits the hole in the frame and is not too big, do it. Make sure you use gasket cement because I have heard and have one myself where the gasket will leak letting water into the defrost channel/duct then downward to your radio, feet, carpet, floorboard....but eventually to the ground. Now if the glass is too big for the frame....I would not grind the frame but pay the glass shop his price because he can grind the glass to fit. Sometimes you have to pay somebody for their knowledge and tools. Just make sure he uses gasket cement/sealant. This is a common product made by 3M and others, he should know what you are talking about. My '79's glass is getting milky aroud the edges, I think it is delamenating, and has a good rock chip in the very middle. It still passes inspection but if the chip starts to expand or I get tired of looking at the milky edges I have a complete windshield from an '85 that just needs painted to match. I will then take it apart, get it painted, and reassemble with sealant. Good Luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:58 AM

I do a lot of glass at work. I used to break a bunch of it before I got the "knack". I would recomend just paying the money unless you can practise on some other ones. There really is a feel for it and glass is SOOOOOOOOO easy to break.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with Dirt Dog. A few years back I had to replace a rusty windshield frame on my 85 CJ. I had a new painted frame and new gasket so I figured this glass replacement shouldn't be a big deal. An hour later as I stared in horror at the shattered glass, I decided it wasn't such a good idea to try it myself after all.

Of course not everyone is a klutz like me!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:21 AM
Old Hand

Hi,

I replaced my windshield fram about two years ago. The glass came out easy enough, however the tolerance on the new frame and the new rubber caused the reinstall of the glass to be a very tight affair. I had the help of a friend as well as you will need a second pair of hands. Make sure to use a sealer on the glass/rubber/fram as it will leak if you install the glass without it. I put the glass in the rubber and put a strong piece of string in the groove all the way around on the outside. Lay the glass against the frame and make sure the string goes through the frame to the inside. Start the lip of the rubber over the edge of the frame and start pulling the string through on one side so it forces the rubber lip over the frame edge. It can be a very hard job and the second pair of hands come in handy to keep a slight pressure on the glass against the frame to help it seat.

P.S. If you've never done it before, it can be very frustrating and the glass is easy to break. Rather have it installed in this case!

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sheesh ! I've replaced the glass in mine several, several times and never had a leak, broken glass or a misfit ...

I put the glass in the boot then put a piece of clothesline in the frame channel, lay the thing against the w/s frame from the outside, have someone hold it in place while I pull the rope and guide the inner lip into place. The last time I did this was 3 weeks ago and it fit rather tight so I ended using a block of wood and a hammer to drive the boot and glass sideways so I could get the last edge to pull into place...The whole thing probably takes 15 min....
BTW a belt sander works great on glass if you need to adjust the size.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:16 AM
Way Outta Control

Ryan, DON'T DO IT YET! There is a BIG GOTTCHA with installing windshields in a CJ. That is that often the Windshield frame is a "One Size Fit's All." Now this wouldn't be too bad, exept the opening for the glass is too small. Or, if you prefer, the glass is too big to fit in the opening with the rubber gasket attached.

If you KNOW that the glass is OEM size and the Windshield frame is OEM you'll be OK. But, if you don't you're going to break the glass. That's not an IF, that's a PROMISE!

If you don't know that everything's OEM and you decide to tackle the job then go very, very slow, and DON'T force anything! Were it me, I'd take it to a shop and have them do the install and carry the liability and warranty.

If I did know it was all OEM, yep, you can do the job without much fuss... as everything fits nicely.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:08 PM

I bought mine in Oklahoma about a month or so ago...so prices should be about the same..
I paid about 116.00 in all.
I called autolite and they came out and installed in and all that good stuff.

76 CJ5
Mobile trashcan at the moment..
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had mine done this morning, and I watched the guy do it. I had the windshield frame off and sitting on sawhorses because I just Por-15'd and then Herculined it to match the dash. I had brand new rubber, the kind with the lockstrip. I gave him the old glass on monday, and he took it back to his shop and cut a new piece.
Here's what he did:
1. Sprayed the rubber and frame with a lubricant to make it easy to slide on.
2. Fit the rubber onto the windshield frame and trimmed it to size.
3. Using a cool suction cup handle thingy, picked up the glass and set it on the frame.
4. Started one corner into the rubber, and then worked the seal around the glass with a thin plastic tool that looks like a putty knife.
5. Once the glass was in all the way around, he worked around the lockstrip groove with a tool that was like a bent center punch that spread the rubber and seated it well to the glass.
6. He installed the lockstrip with a tool that looked like a miniature shovel with a hole through it. The shovel part spread the rubber and the lockstrip threaded through the hole. He just zipped it right around the windshield.
7. He used his putty knife tool to even up the rubber.
That's it! He made it look easy. It took him about 15 minutes to do the whole thing. The thing is guaranteed against leaks. No adhesive was necessary. It cost me 75 bucks and he did it at my place. I got a good deal, though, because my uncle in law is an auto glass insurance adjuster and they did it for me at cost. I had tried to put the old one in but I couldn't get the lockstrip in. I had used the old rubber and it was brittle, and I didn't have the right tool. Then the glass fell out when i was moving it. That lockstrip is important. I asked him about sizing the glass and he said the rubber has about 1/8" of forgiveness in it and he had cut my glass slightly larger than the old one to make up for years of cutting from the same pattern. I would feel comfortable doing the job myself, after watching him, if I had the lockstrip tool. (I could have made one from a piece of scrap metal). If you have someone else do it, though, they will pay for their own mistakes and it won't leak.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The windshield I have is brand new and has all the stickers still on it from the manuf. to check the fit for OEM specs I am sure I can call the manuf.
As for the self install I would like to try, and I can get help from a friend for sure. I have one question though. Should the guide string run in the channel all around the windshield frame or just through the frame, perpindicular to the windshield and frame???
Joey I hope you got a windshield for that $116.00 , The highest price I found to install was 75.00.
tanks guys.

77 cj5 sorta, V8, 4"lift, 33's, lotsa miss'n metal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode