How to set the timing? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

How to set the timing?

I have always wondered what is the corrrect way to set it. Disconect the vacuum advance and plug the line at the carb put mark on timing scale and on the notch on the dampener, that much I know for sure. Now one of my manuals says set speed at 1600 at set to 9 degrees while my other manual says set to curb idle speed and set the timing at 6 degrees, which one is correct. OH ya, what happens when you set the timing to far advanced or too far retarded. Thanks

88 YJ: TR upgrade and MC2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: How to set the timing?

You should have an under hood sticker tha tells the timing specs. and I think this is what you should go by. The AMC, oops, Chrysler dealer should be able to get you one if you don't have. I trust Haynes. Chilton's, errrr so so. Too far advanced and you'll get pinging from the flame front hitting the valves and slamming them shut. Now before knock sensors that altered the timing through the computer, which I think you have, people would set the timing by listening for a slight ping as you slowly accelerate up a slight grade. This method turns out to be very close to the factory specs but on the "more performance side" of life. Also too far advanced might be hard for the starter to turn over the engine because the mixture is lighting off, building cylinder pressure too soon fighting the starter. Before vacuum advance and most other things, cars had ignition advance/retard devices inside the cars to help when starting and driving. Too far retarded is cool. Exhaust manifolds and exhaust pipes glow red. Neet. It's from the mixture getting lit on fire too late and still burning as it goes out the exhaust valves, manifold, exhaust pipes....hehe fire. Fire is good. FYI, I think timing specs are usually a function of the cam shaft. A different cam might require different initial timing.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 06:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to set the timing?

On the fire wall above the valve cover is two valves. One has a Red and Black wire going to it the other has a green and black wire. Disconnect the hose going to the valve with the black and red wire and plug it. Disconnect the vacuum advance hose at the distributor and plug it. Right in front of the carb on the intake manifold if a sensor with one wire going to it (anti Knock sensor) disconnect it and ground it. Note: disconnecting the knock sensor and grounding it seem to have no effect when timing the engine but that is what the factory service manual says. So if you can not find it forget it. Anyway start the engine and at idle set the timing to 6-8 degrees. Factory service manual says using this method set the timing to 9 +1 =10 but I have found that at this setting 87 unlead will knock at times depending how good it is. 90 will not knock at 10 degrees but I do not like spending the extra money and I notice no change in power. Hope this helps.

Jeff

48 Cj2a 88YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode