Moab Rollover - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Moab Rollover

A TJ with one of my CBrack installations was involved in a rollover on the Golden Spike. This was the featured Jeep in this month's rockcrawler.com. He has a flat screen TV monitor mounted to the CBrack and 6 cameras mounted all over the Jeep.
The attached picture is prior to the rollover. There are rollover pictures on Rockcrawler in a different article that Bruce's featured TJ article. As I understand it, in addition to the rollover damage, the engine also seized. Big time damage to a really beautiful rig.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-34530-BruceB1.jpg (11.6 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moab Rollover

So are you saying he was busy watching TV when he rolled over. Sounds kinda dangerous to me. Fortunately most
rock crawling rollovers don't cause much in the way of injuries, just vehicle damage. Now see Doug, if you hadn't invented the rack,
then he wouldn't have been busy watching TV and never would have rolled. Perfectly logical.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2000, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Haven't had a chance to talk to him. Called his house a few minutes ago. He is still in Moab. I really hope you are wrong about watching TV. :-( This is the only system like that I have seen, and actually have only seen the pictures you have seen. Didn''t get a chance to see it in person.
He has 6 little tiny cameras. One in each wheel well to watch each wheel track, another on front and the last on the back. There is a selector switch somewhere so that he can pick the camera. This isn't something I would do, but I am impressed with it none the less. His entire rig is very impressive, or at least it was.
His wife told me that no one was hurt. His daughter was with him and got a slight concussion. According to his wife the engine is toast too. Don't know whether the rock the hood landed on actually damaged the engine, whether it got into an rpm situation or whether something minor happened on the outside of the engine that caused it not to crank, but have heard from more than one source that the engine is gone too.
He did trailer to Moab, so getting home will not be a problem.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I guess the important question is how did the rack survive?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't know about CBrack damage yet. Know you said that "tongue in cheek", but truthfully, Bruce has a ton of money in that rig. He sold a Hummer, and I'm gonna guess he has put almost Hummer money back into that TJ. Doesn't even drive it on the road very often. Trailers even to relatively close events, and does not normally do the "slam/bang" trails. As careful as he has been and as much money as he has invested, it somehow just doesn't seem fair that he would do that much damage on a single event. Oh, well .................. that's Jeepin, I guess.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 02:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er....Doug....I meant to mention this before, but anyway, you aren't SUPPOSED to go into those places with a Jeep vehicle. The Jeep vehicle is intended to be used to go to the mailbox after a snowfall, or possibly to drive after a heavy rain if there is a spot of mud that the Oldsmobile cannot traverse. Just thought I'd clear this up, you know[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2000, 05:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think somebody has pushed the pause button on his remote. His engine is still running, he just doesn't know it. His cameras show it stopped.

btw..... if he rewinds the tape, will his jeep be fixed?

IN2DEEP 78 CJ5 302 FORD T176/D300 35" BFGS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moab Rollover - Latest Info

Well, he wasn't watching TV, but he wasn't paying attention either. Rollover occured on a "no name" obstacle which made it even more embarssing. Wasn't even anyone taking pictures at that location. The TJ wound up on its top after a full 1 1/2 roll destroying the roof rack and the hard top. Engine was ok after they got all the oil out of the cylinders. Very little body damage, no running gear or steering damage, and the CBrack and accompaning TV system were not damaged at all. Had the TJ stopped at a full roll, back on its wheels, Bruce said he would have continued up the obstacle without even stopping. Now that would have been a camera event. I can just see it - Chug, Chug, roll, roll, chug, chug, stop at the top of the hill, look back and casually say, "Humm, ... that was interesting," and then just drive to the next obstacle without even getting out to inspect the damage. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2000, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rollovers happen to the best of us, it's the price you pay if you wheel hard and they don't discriminate based on how much money you have if your rig. It still sucks though. On a completely unrelated note the guy on the cover of Rockcrawler.com, the one standing on the big rock is me. Kind of a suprise. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode