Articulation Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Articulation Question

Hello,
This is my first post to this forum and it starts with a question for you more experienced Jeep fanatics. I have a '91 YJ that I just completed a 4 inch lift on. I currently have 31" muds and plan to move up to 33s. I've owned the Jeep for 5 years but haven't done much serious wheeling because I didn't want to destroy the stock parts. I have a lot of upgrades planned. Here's the ?. What are some tricks for increasing wheel articulation. I need to install some quick disconnects on the front, but the rear seems pretty stiff. Any suggestions will help as I have a long way to go before I'm Rubicon worthy.

Thanks
Jon Leister
'91 YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:51 PM
sas87yj

Re: Articulation Question

yeah quick-discos on front a must!
i took off my track-bar on rear.

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a question first, what kind of lift did you use?

Alot of what you hear for suggestions are just that, suggestions. Many mods may or may not work for your rig and your rigs intended uses. Some people don't care about road manners, some do. Some people only do mud, some rocks, some cruise around, some do sand, and some a little of everything. It all depends on your needs and wants.

Get the sway bar disconnects, you won't regret it. Some people actually take the swaybar off, but I don't recommend it. Even the CJ5 has a swaybar and it isn't known for its road manners[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Many poeple ditch their track bar on YJ's, they just arn't needed on leaf sprung vehicles. Others ditch just the rear track bar and keep the front. I would start with the rear, make sure that it drives like you want, then maybe take off the front. If it still drives OK then leave it off. I ended up with both of mine off this way. Then there is the whole telescopic trick trackbar thing(of which I still have one new still in the box).

Greasable shackles are a must. They improve the ride and flex of the springs by allowing them to move more freely. This allows them to do thier job better of dampening bumps.

Your leaf spring might also be in need of attention(depending on which you purchaced). The leaf clamps can be loosened, which will allow the leafs to fan more easily when drooping. Leaf packs can be taken apart and greased or teflon pads can be inserted.

You can do a SOA conversion, do a SRS(which technically only helps the ride), Revolvers, buggy springs, extend shocks, and better springs. All of which will have thier own pros and cons, and will each many times require many other mods to work properly.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:00 AM

Two things. The first was already asked.....what kind of lift.(some are very hard and take forever to break in)
All are stiff when new.
2. You didn't over tighten things like shackles and springs when you put it on did you? They have to be left loose untill you get it back on the ground. Then you tighten everything up. Double check the directions.
Seriously, one of the best ways to break in a lift is to wheel the crap out of it.........HARD!!!!!

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:00 AM

Definetly make sure you dont over tighten the shackle bolts with the jeep off the ground. My 87 rode like a sled when I first bought it because the person that installed the connferr shackles did so on a lift. Once loosened up the ride and flex was amazing. Sway bar disconnects, loose the track bars and M.O.R.E. long travle shock mounts should get you on your way.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

The kit was Pro Comp. I don't think I over tightened anything. I did torque everything to the specified settings. I'll check.

Thanks
-J

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I'm planning on doing a little of everything at some point, but I want to build a rock crawler when all is said and done. I'll experiment with the track bar situation, and your other suggestions.
Thanks again.

-Jon

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:38 PM

From what I've heard and seen, the procomp lift rides a little stiff until it is well broken in. A friend recently purchased a cj7 with a procomp 4"lift that was relatively new. It rides OK because the 35s absorb a lot of the bumps, but try and push down on the bumper and it doesn't move much.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, to answer your question, it was a pro comp kit. I'm interested in learning more about tweaking the spring clamps. Any info is appreciated.

-J

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:11 PM

Jason seems to hit it right on the head. I have a 95 YJ with at 3" lift. I've tossed my rear track bar and have disconnects on the front sway bar. It sill does not flex as much as I want, next time I will get springs that are not as stiff. Also you need to make sure everything is not too tight. From here you get into more of the trick hardware. Best of luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode