a/c help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

a/c help

i know there are other posts about this but i cant find them any were and i have searched all over

does any one have a way that i can test to see if my a/c is working? i cant see any thing in that little hole so i dont know if its working.
also it doesnt seem the commpressor clutch is moveing it just sits i never saw it move.
the air is cool that comes out of the a/c but just not cold like it should be, do you think it may just be that it needs freeon? how much is it for a new compressor or can you rebuild?

sorry for all the questions but i think you guys can handle it
thanks alot
mike

'95 jeep yj stock as of now but soon to go SOA and new tires/wheels
you cant own a jeep and not "modify" it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:44 PM
sas87yj

Re: a/c help

how about buy a tester- not real expensive that will have a gauge that tells you if it needs charging with freon. i just add a can in my van and camaro. if the compressor is working which it is since you have some cool air- and you can see and hear the clutch engauge on the compressor with hood up.

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:49 PM

call around and find a shop that will test/recharge, sometimes walmart service centers do this.

itll probably run $100 or so, but its well worth it since you more than likely arent equipped with testing, recovering/recharging eqipment.

the odds are you dont need a compressor, just have a leak somewhere it might be a fitting or it might be a condensor or coil or someother such expensive thing.

make sure the leak is fixed before they recharge

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your Jeep might have R134A in it and it will not cost as much as R12 to re-charge your unit.
You can also use a jumper to see if compressor kicks-in. Or, buy one of those do-it-yourself re-charge kit and see if that helps. But remember, you don't want to over or under charge your system. Check your sight glass and see if you see any bubbles (if so, then you are low on freon). Go buy a leak ac testing kit, find out where the leak is at and see if you can fix it your self.
If all else fails, bring it to a shop [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Good luck,

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Let's go baja in NYC and see how well your suspension holds up.... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:07 AM

If the compressor is not running, it's probally low. There is a switch that keeps the compressor from running when empty/low to save it from burning up. Yours should have 134a in it being as it's a 95. Try and shoot a can in it. If the compressor starts running, great. If not, take it to a shop. Also keep in mind that if it is low, it has a leak. This stuff does not dissapear w/o a reason. So you might want to think about taking it somewhere anyway. Also, if you are going to try and put some in yourself.........after the first can, add very little (1/4 can) at a time. And make sure that the can stays upright. I'm not sure where the charge ports are on a 95 wrangler but if liquid refrigerant gets to the compressor, it will ruin it. Be carefull too. This stuff can get you hurt if it is overcharged and can blow off all kinds of parts.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:47 AM
Way Outta Control

Look here... Everything you wnated to know about air conditioning and was afraid to ask!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 09:12 AM
chasejeep7

The best site is here
http://www.aircondition.com/ (go to D's tech pages)
--or--
You can direct your questions to pro's on this forum
http://www.aircondition.com/wwwboard/index.htm

<font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=red>hase</font color=red><font color=blue>J</font color=blue><font color=red>eep</font color=red><font color=green>7</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode