A few big problems with jeep.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

A few big problems with jeep..

Alright went wheelin today..and brough some foriegn exchange student chicks..it was awesome..
They didn't even mind getting muddy.
Well anyways we kinda went wheelin like crazy.
I went through water so deep it was pouring in through the door panel and my pedals were submerged..
I also died on this hill..got caught on a rock and couldn't get start back up cause of the angle..
I tried that starter grind thing..were you turn your keys without using your clutch.
Well anyways I was driving up this awesome ditch thingy..
And I was crawling up and it and I finally did that one wheel in the air thing.
It was sweet..I never knew how you did it.
I got some good pics..
Well anyways after I crawled up that I died I think..or I killed it.
I couldn't start back up.
When I tryed the key it wouldn't do a damn thing.
I had my buddy pull me and we popped the clutch..
It worked.
Well on my way home my front axle is making some horrible noise.The hubs are not locked in.
It was sort of making that noise for a few weeks..
I checked my front axle and it was loose.I had to retighten the bearings.DId that yesterday and now it is doing it the whole time..Not just on turns.
Also the big problem is after a minute after getting off the trail and driving on the main streets my jeep starts to die.Everytime I stop or am if I am idling low or something..or not pressing the gas for a second it dies.

I did go deep under water a few times..but not deep enough to get water in my carb or anything.

Thanks for any help..
I guess wheelin has its prices sometimes..

76 CJ5
Mobile trashcan at the moment..
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:08 PM
jeepfiend

Re: A few big problems with jeep..

Joey, if you were a pony express rider, your horse would be dead. Are you familiar with the term "rode hard and put away wet"? It means using your horse really hard and not giving it the love that it so deserves. You need to find someone with some axle knowledge to physically look over your shoulder and help you go through that front axle. If you put everything together properly you should not be having this recurring problem. If I lived anywhere near Oklahoma, I would come fix it myself!! You must be missing one of those little critical details during reassembly[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. As far as the water fording, you don't have to go that deep to fill things with water. I would bet that you have gotten water in the distributor. You need to take it apart and dry everything out. Unless you have your breathers at the top of your firewall, your transmission and transfer case and axles are also probably full of water. The air cleaner is not the only thing that you need to keep out of the water. If I were you, I would drain all the fluid in the drivetrain and replace it all. Good luck with the repairs, and I hope you get that front axle straightened out. You already know where to look for help, I just wish one of us could come and help you do it. Just one more thought, if something is making a bad noise, it means that something is wrong. Think of it like the sound that you would make if you had to walk on a broken leg. It is the sound of your poor little Jeep groaning in agony[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:24 AM

Nail on the head jeepfiend.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Joey, the small details will get you every time. You really need to find a human near you that has 4X4 wrenching experiance. Look around you. There has to be a club in the 50 mile radius. It will be worth it's weight in gold. Believe me. Once you get hands on help from some one who already knows how to do it......then you'll be " in the know".[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Oh yea....quit your whining. You're the one who was out wheeling with some hotties in your jeep not me.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:12 AM

the squeak in the front end sounds like wheel-bearings. REBUILD THEM IMMEDIATELY! the guy that worked on my brakes before i bought my first cj-7 in 1995 did not put new seals in the hubs. after a few submersions, the front end would make a little noise. i just figured it was brakes. as i was driving 65 mph down the highway, i had a wheel bearing seize up! it was quite scary! it ended up destroying the Hub, rotor, spindle, and lock-out. they are really easy to rebuild. the hardest part is finding the big socket for the spindle nuts. Four Wheel Drive Hardware (www.4wd.com) has them for around $10. hope this helps! matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

It does sound like a wheel bearing problem. You will need to take them apart. One question you said they were loose. Did you bend the washer over the nut to keep the nut from loosening.

Also like dirt said stop whinning you had the chics not me.

Can someone please bring me a hammer my 33's just ate my fender again. Damn i need more lift.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:28 AM
Way Outta Control

Joey, Joey, Joey, all the advice you've recieved is excellent. Let me add one more for future refrence...A Jeep ain't too unlike a helicopter:

One hour of flying = 4 hours of Maintance!

On a Jeep the ratio ain't quite as high, it's more like:

On hour of bashing though Mother Nature = 2 hours of maintance.

That's if nothing breaks...You gotta prepare that Jeep as if you're life depneds upon it... because it does. Your youth, experience and impatience has nothing to do with this because in the bush or on the Highway the Jeep don't care how young you are, how your finace's are, or if you really wanted to fix that part before taking out the Jeep. All it knows is that the parts a breakin' and you're gonna pay, one way or the other. Do the job right THE FIRST time. If you've got time to do the job again, you had time to it right the first time. If you did not have time to do the job right the first time, you shouldn'tattempt the job and need other means to get it fixed before the Jeep rolls out again.

These are just a few simple rules to keep you alive past your high school graduation... which must be coming up soon. Congradulations on a good academic history, now go fix that CJ.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

No I didn't bend that washer back..I bet thats what it is.My dad knows how to work on cars somewhat(he's a mechanic for freightliner)
but he always wants me to do stuff myself because he doesn't like it and he wants me to know how to do it.He just likes to tell me how and have me do it.
I thought I fixed it right last night..but obviousely I didn't.
I kinda abused her so she may have come loose..
I'm almost positive the axle thing is the wheel bearing.
Does anyone know why she keeps dying when I let her get to idle?
It worked for a while after I got out of water..
and DAMNT!I hate changing axle/tranny/t-case fluids!
I need to quit offroading till I sell this thing.

76 CJ5
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 12:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Joey, I see on your write up that you are using the 258. Are you still using the BBD? As for the stalling, check the idle tubes. The first time mine clogged, I only hit a small pothole on a logging road and knocked something in there, I didn't get airborn.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Mine still ran great, just not without giving it gas..02$

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:39 PM
jeepfiend

Joey, you may not HAVE to change the fluids, but you would be well advised to check them and make sure they are not contaminated.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

How do I check the idle tubes?

76 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode