Whew!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whew!!

I went over to my buddies house to check out his 80 CJ7. He was sapping in a new intake and 4 barrel carb,headers, and tuned exhaust. What I found absolutely scared me. He knows very little about the internal combustion engine, but insists on wrenching himself. He had the fuel line hooked to the vacuum canister. He broke the bracket for his power steering pump(don't ask. I didn't) He also managed to strip his skid plate bolts trying to drop it to run his exhaust. Man!! What a mess. It took me 3 hours trying to correct it. I kindly asked him to wait for me next time, but he just kind of giggled. He did manage to get his stereo hooked up. I did not ask to hear it as electrical fires scare me even more.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It was a very interesting day.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]<font color=red>76 CJ7, only up 3", waggie D44 front and rear, 350cid, Quadratrac, 33" BFG's</font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:11 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Whew!!

ROTFLMCEO! We all gotta start somewhere. I'll give him credit for trying, and paying for and learning from his mistakes.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know someone like that... electrical inclined.. he knows to use a fuse and junk but other than that a huge mess.. the other day he was over replacing a fuse when he turned on his KCs and the dash caught on fire. Its 98 Z71.. haha he flipped out .. pulled out the extingusher and fixed it all up.. had to rewire the whole damned mess [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:22 AM

Hey Ive done those same type of snafus.
about a year ago I was rewiring a bunch of stuff under the dash(I am obssessed with eliminating disorder and confusion in any system I am involved with), well I unhooked the prewired harness to the ARB compressor swith, and solonoid, but before hand I drew a quick diagrahm of the wire connections, just in case I couldnt or didnt want to have to find the ARB documentation. Afer completeing what I was diddleing with,I went to reinstall the ARB connections,... but I did, have the ARB install sheets,... and there was a discrepency between the ARB stuff and my 10 second drawing. Since it was about 10 at night and I was tired and impatient, I think I finally opted for a combination of the two conflicting schematics, and about a half minute later I had smoke billowing out from under the dash, imediately followed by loss of stereo and then most other systems. By about 3:00 AM I had restored the ARB, in its now, much more simplified version,(all unnecessary circuits and extra wire, along with there lock out system, removed). And had restored most of the other electrical circuitry that had melted down.
The point is, If I would have taken the time to really familiarize myself with the ARB electrical set up, rather than blidly relying on the plug and play, design of their harness, I would have known where the power, lighting, and signal wires needed to go and why, and I shouldnt have welded my dash wiring into a copper and plastic example of art deco.
You have to live and learn. Your freind will go farther, learning and stumbeling in the garage, than leaving the bulk of the work to the experts and knowing nothing on the trail.
You are a good freind to offer your knowledge, but screwing up your rig, through persistent and unabated curiousity, is "Owners Perogative".

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode