Steering Box Bracket! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Box Bracket!

Hey, my steering box bracket on my cj has been moving so much that it stripped two of the places where it bolts into the frame ( out of 3 ). I was thinking about re-threading them for a larger bolt, but would this be really hard cuz it is going threw a frame? What is my best solution for fixing them so i can get an aftermarket bracket such as the one from samsoffroad.com?

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Box Bracket!

What I did fairly recently on mine was cut out a small section of the frame just big enough to get the tip of the welder in there, then welded on new nuts, and rewelded the section of frame back in place. Seems to be just fine now.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 01:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No idea how to "Fix" the frame. I fixed mine by getting a new one from AFW...kinda spendy, but it's piece of mind knowing my Jeep is built on a good foundation.
I do have praise for Sam's Off Road Steering box bracket. WOW it that thing tough! Make sure your frame is good where you bolt that thing on 'cause the weight alone may tear it out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I tried wrestling it (with the box attached) up to my frame by hand but couldn't hold it up AND start a bolt. Very very heavy duty.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:11 AM
Old Hand

I had some broken bolts and drilled them out, then went to metric 12 bolts. The nut is quite big and the original thread works out about 11 mil, so 12 metric was just enough to restore the thread. Everything is tight again now. Maybe not the best solution, but it did the trick for me.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:08 AM

That was almost cheating Hooch. You live in the land of metric.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Thats one reason I like metrics. Lots of nifty in between sizes for me to use in a pinch.
OK, now my $.02.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
What would be wrong with helicoils? Most of the time they are way stronger than the original thread.

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
"Get your finger outta there"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 06:36 AM
Old Hand

Dirtdog,

Great Britain isn't exactly metric... You want to see the different threads over here... BA, Whitworth (also handy for in between sizes), but yep, I've been brought up metric in Holland, so all my tools i.e. taps, dies etc are metric. I always got problems estimating AF spanner/socket sizes on sight. I can look at a metric nut/bolt and grap the right spanner/socket straight away, but I am lost with AF (alway have to try different sockets/spanners till I finally pick the right size, very annoying).

As for Helicoils: I've used them many a time, even in aluminum cast... Brilliant invention! At least you don't have to modify the mounting holes in the bracket, which you would have to do if you "upsize" your bolts.

Hooch

'83 CJ-7 258/TF999/D300 in Land Rover Country

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode