B&M help needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

B&M help needed

I've got the B&M Star shifter for my 727. It has suddenly started acting wierd - when I shift it feels "sloshy" and the shifts don't match the gear change in the tranny. "Drive" on the tranny is now between shifts on the shifter, and I can't get it in Park unless I drop it back to 1st and then slam it up to Park. I took the housing cover off the shifter, but everything looks snug. Any ideas?

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

'96 ZJ - 4.0L/42re/np242/optima/cobra and other goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:44 PM

Re: B&M help needed

It sounds like the cable stretched or got hot. Try adjusting the cable. You may need a new one.

'86 CJ-7, 360, TFI, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:05 PM
Pooh-Bah

Samer shifter/tranny in my J10, when I had problems it was the cable attachment nuts had backed away from the bracket allowing it to move around.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:39 PM

Another thing to look out for with b&m shifters is the grease(white lube) that comes on them. If it is a ratchet shifter and it is real cold out(like your truck/car was outside in the middle of winter all night) the ratchet mechanism will freeze up and if you go to down shift you might shift further than you expected. I've only noticed it with b&m, not to say that they are bad shifters. I still remember almost soiling myself when I went to down shift from 3rd to 2nd in my camaro one cold december morning, needless to say 1st gear at 80mph is not a good thing. Way too much compession braking and not enough tire can lead to one scary sideways ride.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I fiddled with it last night, trying to make the existing cable work before replacing it altogether. I completely re-aligned the cable so the cable's eyelet lined up with the post on the shifter in Park (with the tranny in Park). Then I put the eyelet over the post and held it there while I went through all the gears. When I put it back in "Park" on the shifter and checked, the tranny was in Reverse still. It just won't go all the way to Park. All the pieces seem intact - the only thing I noticed is that the rubber cable housing has separated from the copper crimps about 1/4" on both ends of the cable. But watching the cable while someone else did the shifting, it didn't seem to move around at all.

Ah well...I'm just going to replace it when I get home.

canis
'82 CJ-7/360/727/D300/cobra, M.O.R.E. shackles, 1/2" steel bumper, 1" body lift and lots of ideas!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Problem solved. After fiddling with it some more, I just replaced it. When I removed it, I realized the cable had melted entirely right in the middle, so was ballooning when I'd try to shift to Park. I couldn't see this b/c I ran the cable through some aluminum electrical conduit to act as a heat shield. I guess it didn't work well enough. This time I'll add header wrap to the exhaust.

The good part is, I called B&M, and they're sending me another new cable (Lord knows I'll need it)!

canis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode