Air Horns - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Air Horns

I know, I know, its kinda of a lame question,..but, with the York installed, it was only a short matter of time before I needed to ask.
Where can I get a good air horn? I dont want a chrome Highway Yacht $400 horn. I just want a good 130 db, "train sound" type of horn. We used a horn like that to call everyone back to, one spot on night run last year. Everyone had gotten dispersed all over the trails at Bald Mountain durring the course of a 20 rig, spur of the moment, night run. Even using the CBs it was hard to get a bearring on where everyone was, so we all started heading towards "Diggers" Train Horn, and had everyone(except one hopelessly lost fool, who took another 3 hours to locate),
gathered into one area pretty quickly.
Since then, I knew. that I wanted to install an obnoxiuose noise maker like that, once I got off of the canned air.
I called a local Commercial truck wrecking yard, and they didnt have much.
I am gonna try the trusty ol Kenworth dealer, but is there any particular brand or type that preferred by truckers for price and quality? My system is set up, at 95 psi to 135 psi.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Air Horns

What I used to use as a locator with SAR was military strobes...BRIGHT! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I carry marine strobes also. I have a lot of that kind of equiptment left over from when Kathy and I lived on our sailboat. We used the strobes that night also. And although the strobes are effective(at night) they still just dont have the obnoxiuose factor of a Train Horn.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:09 PM

Get the good old hadleys. Damn loud and not rediculousely priced. The kenworth dealer would probably be a good place to look. Most of my parts are comming from heavy truck dealers lately(you get to know the parts guys well when you deal with them on a daily basis). Get the under hood model since it isn't chromed and will cost less. The best place to mount them is in a fender so you get a good loud echo from it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of Fiamm horns in my Miata and I had a set in my pickup truck before I sold it. The jeep is getting some soon. I love them. They are advertised as 130 dB. They come in individual or sets of 2 or 3. You can get a bunch of differant notes. I have high pitched ones in the miata. They are loud enough so that they can't be ignored. The sets come with their own compressor, which is pretty small but does the job. You could plumb in a valve with a regulator. They only need about 20 psi, and any more than that doesn't really make them any louder. (I experimented with my shop compressor). A 3 horn set runs about $35 here locally. They are designed to be mounted under the hood. I have mine between my grille and radiator on a bracket. They are exposed to the weather, and I have had them for 4 years and no problems yet, and I use them often. (They last longer if you use them more than once a week).

'Course, if you find a real truck horn or better yet a TRAIN horn, you get all that fun chrome and grunt value.
Regards,
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:27 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Alright Jeff...a REAL train horn is something like two feet long and massively loud...go for it!

Actually, my grandfather-in-law found some Mack truck horns in a junk yard and rebuilt them for his RV. At just 40psi, they shook the RV shed he has.

I'm just glad that I'm not the only person thinking along those lines!!!!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Train horn: Eagle.

Air Horn: as mentioned above, hadley is the way to go. I'd just buy a hadley and be done. They're hard to beat (durability wise), and are plenty loud. Hadley is used as OEM for a lot of trucks, including Mack. 'Nuff said.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.groverproducts.com/horns/index.html

That's the URL of a horn manufacturer. I was gonna get one but I picked up a used set at a swap meet.

I seem to remember these people selling train horns at one of the Carlisle shows.
http://www.railroadsalvage.com
Don't see any horns listed on the web, but I think it was these guys. Way freakin' loud, and that wasn't even with the recommended air pressure!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was at Iowa 80 truck stop last year and was looking around, they have what they claim are real train horns ( about a foot and a half long ) they are damn loud. But are kinda expensive, i forgot, somewhere over 200 i believe.

'85 Scrambler
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:09 PM

ok so if i wanted to get a hadley air horn and put it in say a honda how would i do that? Can i find a small air compressor? run it off the AC compressor? thanks- Tim

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode