bell & whistles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

bell & whistles

I'm bying a new Jeep 2001 TJ Sport 4.0 L, In-Line 6. and I live in Quebec, Canada

When you buy a new Jeep they ask you if you want the rust proofing (300$), this other "super thick" rust proofing (300$), the "scoth-gard" stuff for the seats and rugs (200$) and the paint protecter (200$).

It's suppose to be a one shot deal.... If it's screwed up you bring it back and they redo it for free.

My question is... is all that stuff really important or should I just get it done somewhere else than at the dealership?

This is my first Jeep, my first car so I just wanna make I'm not getting screwed here!

thx a million

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 02:01 PM
jeepfiend

Re: bell & whistles

I am not so sure that stuff is that great of a buy. I would check with an autobody shop, and see what they would charge for the undercoating (rustproofing), and the scotchguard I think a can is less than $10. I used to work at an autobody shop at a dealership, and a lot of these "extras" are just a scam to take your money. If they guarantee the Scotchguard, it might be worth it. You could pick up some rubberized undercoat and a couple of scotch-brite pads, and do it yourself for less than $50, if you don't mind getting a little dirty. If the paint protector is the same as what we used to use, it is just the clear undercoat/chipguard (rocker panels only). If it is supposed to be one of those spray-on all over treatments, you would do just as well to go buy some turtle-wax and save about $295.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 02:28 PM
Old Hand

Don't waste your money. The jeep is protected by the factory from rust and most aftermarket rustproofers cause more problems then they solve. The fabric is generally treated at the factory also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 04:27 PM
Leigh_Smith

I would get a can of scotchguard and do it yourself. I had a fullsize gmc truck rustchecked (they drilled holes to get all the hidden areas) for about $150 cdn. Definitely get it undercoated if you plan on keeping it for over 5 years but $300 is too much. The paint treatment sounds like a scam too. I have tried many waxes over the years and the best hands down is the 3 step system from Mother's, takes some work but it makes old paint look new so new paint should look great!!

81 CJ7 304/904/D300 scout 44's locked, full cage, 33"wildcats, warn HS9500i, bush bar from hell and diamondplate sides to cover gaping rust holes!! Coming soon OBA!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode