AMC 20 axle shaft removal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC 20 axle shaft removal

Hi,
I am trying to remove the axle shafts from my rear AMC 20 axle in my 1980 CJ-7, in order to
replace them with one piece axles. My problem is that I'm not quite sure how to remove them.
Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AMC 20 axle shaft removal

you will need a slide hammer, which you can probably rent from a parts store. if you want the existing brakes, you will need a 50 ton press to get it off, it is nearly impossible to get the shaft and hub apart with a sledge or a hub puller so don't waste your time. the only way i could get it off is a 50 ton press. that is how they are put together at the factory. disconnect the brake lines and e-brake cable, then take off the axle nut, thread on the slide hammer on the shaft, and then pull it out. then take the axle shafts to a machine shop. good luck, at least they didn't break before you changed them.

dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you put the end of a chain on one of the studs with a lugnut and whip the chain, the weight of the chain should pull the shaft out of the housing, I've done it many times.
You need to remove the bolts/nuts in the backing plate first...of course

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to replace the axles with one piece axles, the only thing you will need to save from the old assembly is the brake backing plate. When I replaced the two piece axles on my 1985 CJ7, after pulling the axles with a slide hammer, I cut the old bearing off with a grinder/cutter and slid the backing plate off the shaft. Beats using a press.

Good luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First jack up the rear-end one side at a time. Remove the wheel. At the bottom on the back side of the brake backing plate are 2 small slits with rubber plugs in them. remove the rubber plugs and with a flash light and a screwdriver turn the little cogs to remove the brake pad tension on the drums. The drum should be pretty easy to remove after the tension is loosened if not persuade them off with a BFH. Next undo the 4 bolts on the brake backing plate that holds it to the flange on the axle tube. I then put my wheel and tire back on the studs and just spin the lug nuts on a few turns and use your wheel as a slide hammer to pull the axle out. To put back together, reverse order

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode