Uh oh...I didn't mark the flywheel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:35 PM
cjmorgan

Uh oh...I didn\'t mark the flywheel

Did I mess up? I took off the manual flywheel to get it resurfaced (off a 304 I'm putting in my 81 CJ-7) and didn't mark its location on the crank. How bad is this and what can I do to correct it? Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Uh oh...I didn\'t mark the flywheel

It's not a problem at all. It will only go on one way. Just turn it until all the bolt holes line up.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:06 PM
Way Outta Control

Ok, let's reason this out! To be fair, I'm dumber than a rock so take what I say with a huge grain of salt...

1. What's the reason for marking the flywheel when you take it out?

I suspect that when the engine's at the manufacture plant they can balance everything as close as possible with the OEM flywhee. Marking the relationship of the flywheel to the crank preserves this relationship.

2. Is this a big deal?

Humm..... I don't think so because IMHO what happens when you resurface a flywheel? Why you've just destoryed the OEM balance. Of course as the flywheel was warped and worn the OEM balance was destoryed over time anyway.

3. What do I do now?

Well... when you buy a new flywheel you don't run down to the loacal auto machinest and have the flywheel trued or balnced in concert with your engine, now do you? You just bolt thing on and go! What's the differnece here?

4. Well the flywheel won't be balanced!

Hummm... were that the case changing one would be a death sentence. The engine would vibrate itself apart and self destruct. Then of course when you look at the flexplate... you may see drill holes where metal has been removed or weights welded on the plate... Yep, it's balanced!

Conclusion:

Bolt 'er back on, use some locktite on the bolt threads and quit worrying...a nd save that for other more important stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

On an internally balanced motor, the flywheel is not balanced to the rotating assembly, just balanced to itself, like a wheel). These can (and should) be balanced when you have one re-surfaced.

Externaly balanced motors use the balance weights (or spot drills) on the flywheel to actually balance the rotating assy and should NEVER be balanced independently of the motor to which they go on.

This is all race car stuff, so to LEVE's post, don't sweat it on a Jeep motor. Even if it is out of balance a bit (that is all it is going to be) it would only vibrate at high (6000 +) rpm's. Nothing a Jeep motor should ever see anyways.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode