OT: I need help w/ honda staling please! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

OT: I need help w/ honda staling please!

Hey guys, ive got a little problem with my 89 honda accord. It idles real ruff and dies once a day in the morning. I was able to fix the idle by replacing the pcv valve and bumping the idle up to 900 rpms. ( the factory says to set it at 800 rmp) It still dies though. The first time i start it in the morning it will start and run on fast idle. I can back it up, but when i hit the clutch and take my foot off the gas it dies. It starts right back up though and doesn't die again untill next morning. It has a carb and an electric fuel pump. I was thinking fuel filters but it runs great for the rest of the day. Fuel pump?
Its not a real big deal just annoying[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. BTW i was thining about rebuilding the carb (140,000 miles)to fix these problems and get better gas mileage. What do yall think?
BTW the idle still fluctuates + or - 75 rmps at idle from 900rmp. Is this normal.
p.s. all the 90,000 maintence was done, the rear main seal is new, and the dist. cap and wires are new.

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: OT: I need help w/ honda staling please!

I know it's normal for Honda's to idle high for a few minutes when you first start them. My brother's did this and he always said it drove like s$#@ unless you let it warm up. After a few minutes, the idle will drop down automatically. Try and let it warm up a bit and then drive it and get back to us.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s w/Detroits and 4.56s soon to go SOA
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the choke is probably adjustable, try a little richer setting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

nope the choke aint adjustable. Well at least according to Mr. Hanes and his book. This morning i tried something a little diff. I started and keept my foot on the gas at about 2000rmp, backed up, hit the clutch everything was fine. Keept the gas up and put it in first. As soon as i let the clutch in it died. Started right back up and hasn't died for the rest of the day. Any ideas?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:45 PM
Veteran

Yeah, what's up with that! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] My '88 Civic has the fluctuating idle too and its fuel injected. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] God knows I don't even know where to start it has so many sensors and things. Shop wanted to charge $90 just to plug it into their computer! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I said I can plug it into my own for free. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Huh! Thanks God for Jeeps... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Btw, anybody has any ideas? (I'm serious)

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could be caused by numerous things: vacuum leak, bad iacv (idle air control valve), air in the coolant system, idle screw too loose, ignition problem...

Honda's are notorious for idle problems. I've personally had a vacuum problem, idle screw too loose, and a bad iacv on different honda's i've owned. Idle problems are generally fairly difficult to diagnose. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. - Andy

'94 YJ - 4.0, 5" Suspension/Shackle lift, 33" Muds
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

My '86 Accord LXi (FI) has done both. First, fire up the car and let it run for awhile till it cuts off. Leave the ignition on, push the front seat forward, look under it and read the code on the 'puter (yours may be located elsewhere). Then go here http://hybrid.honda-perf.org/tech/codes.html for the codes. That's gotten me pretty far along thru 248,000 miles! I replaced the fuel filters, then the pump died in Atlanta. Got one from the junkyard and it's going strong. Mine would'nt stay running once and it ended up being a cracked dist. cap & 1 bad plug (I gave up after 4 days, shop fixed it in 25 minutes). Do check all the vac hoses just in case...The 'puter codes should help help you diagnose it a little further. HTH

Caver Dave
'68 Jeepster Wagon
225, 3spd, & road salt A/C
Vintage Jeeps(ters) have Character,
new Jeeps just have payments.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:21 PM
Veteran

You gotta love this board. I've asked this question on many other Honda boards and only got one (1) vague answer. Now if you asked them about lowering kits, spoilers or loud mufflers ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I actually looked under the seat but all I found was some half chewed-off cracker and some peanuts. (wife's been driving it) I usually talk to computers through a monitor and keyboard so how do I read the error codes? What is the computer supposed to look like?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Ive been thinking about why its so damn hard to figure out whats wrong with the idle. 1) there are no wiring looms. There are about 30 THICK wires that come out of the computer and go straight to their sensors. They really do look like small vac hoses. and 2) honda is trying to do very complex things with vac hoses instead of fixing it the right way with electronicly. Go figure...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

SPD33- Can you talk to me a little more about this iacv? I resently flushed the coolent, the dist. wires and plugs are new, ive tightened down the idle screw to bump up the idle rmps, and i have done my best to find a vacum leak. That leaves the iacv right? Unless i missed a vacum leak [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].
You know i am starting to think the Hanes Manuels are a waste of time. They dont include any of this stuff. The only things they freaking talk about are the vacum and the friging pvc valves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode