Pics of installed onboard air compressor. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Pics of installed onboard air compressor.

We had an absolutely gorgeous day and I had to spend it wrenching. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I managed to install the Sanden compressor, sort of. I think I got it lined up pretty good but time will tell. I couldn't reuse any bracket that came with it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so I had to improvise. Lot of eye balling! Not much to go by as far as measuring things ahead of time so I went one bracket at the time. Next, I have to measure for the new belt but hopefully the stock AC serpentine belt will work.

http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132250.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132251.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132252.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132253.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132254.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132255.JPG
http://www.webphotos.com/member/7612/132256.JPG

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:27 PM
sas87yj

Re: Pics of installed onboard air compressor.

not sure if this is a 6 or 4 cly. your profile says I-6 and then it says 2.5..... maybe the 2.5 is a lift? anyway the fan shroud looked huge like on a 4cyl. i am more interested in using the compressor for AC instead of airing tires. i don't have AC and can get a complete "kit" for around $950 in phoenix. i have installed "after-market" units in cars before and was never totally satisfied like if installed at the factory![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have a 4.0L I-6. I got this compressor off a '84 Wagoneer and it's definitely not the one that's used on '91 Wranglers with factory AC. I think those are actually smaller but I yet to see one in person. From the size of it this one looks to be a 7 cyl Sanden and the pistons have pretty good compression so I'm hoping it'll pump some air! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Some of the pictures show how it is lined up with the other pulleys by eye balling. Does it look close enough to you? Once I install the longer belt how do you tell if something is rubbing? Can you also get custom length belt that's shorter than the one used with AC? (in case I don't have to use the second idler pulley)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It looks close enough...it's best if you buy some belts first, then make the brackets and return the unused belts.(hindsight)... I use a straight edge and/or a protractor combination head (simular to a angle finder) to get the pulley angles to match...eyeballs (good ones) will work fine...It's a jeep not a spacecraft. : )

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:35 AM
89yjsahara

Very cool. Im thinking of shortly converting my AC to an air compressor. I figure thats the best way to get use out of it, since Ive only used my AC once, an that was to make sure that it worked before I bought the jeep.
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 6" of lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:41 AM

You will know pretty quick if its not aligned right. The serpentine set ups will usually toss the belt immediately at higher RPMs, if its not within tollerance. I threw the belt on my set up, on the 1st go around, and needed to make a few welded shim adjustments. Once its on, and will stay on, just keep a close eye on it for a while, and carry a spare belt.
It looks good, now get it finished and see how it works.
I used mine this weekend, I sure do like having an unlimited supply of air, to use or waste as I please.
Anyone who has wanted to build an engine driven compressor system, should, find the time to do it. Like Dirtrod says its not rocket science.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yeah, once I make sure it works and the belt stays on it's time to gather the other stuff for it. How much are these serpentine belts anyway? Oh, and I still have to find out if I need the second idler pulley. Can you actually hear or see if the alternator pulley slips or just see that you not getting enough volts to charge.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:35 PM

Now what you need to do is find a tool supplier and get an automatic tool oiler. It is a resevoir(they make them in lots of sizes but i'd get the biggest one) with a fitting on top that is atached to a venturie. Hook it to the inlet side of the compressor so that as the Compressor sucks in air it will recieve enough oil to keep it from seizing. I have hear that spraying a little oil in the inlet ocasionaly will work but it is better to be safe than sorry. As soon as the 5.0 is in I plan to use its factory compessor or adapt a much larger compressor from one of the busses here at work to replace my quickair.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:50 PM

Jimmy depending on which vehicle you use as a 5.0 donao for the swap, you may be able to go to a York very easily. The Mustang and other passenger car versions are very simple to adapt the York onto. There is a couple of inches of clearance between the top of the outputs and the hood, and it would be lower with the other York head with the flatter ports.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:47 PM

The motor is coming out of an 88 mercury and the nice thing is that it runs 2 serpentine belts instead of 1 like the mustang. The ac compressor and smog pump are on 1 bracket on the pass. side and the alt. and power steering are on the other. If I need to remove the bracket that is on the pass. side I can use an older ford truck bracket and factory york(I think it's york, it looks the same) compressor. But I do want to try and get the pump on the 5.0 to work to save a little room because I want to move the air tank and some other stuff under the hood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode