318 engine swap in 1980 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

318 engine swap in 1980 CJ7

I would like to know if anyone has knowledge of any online resources that might be useful for performing an engine/trans. swap in my 1980 CJ7. Jeep currently has "Iron Duke" 4cyl w/ SR-4 trans. Have plans of swapping in a 318 V8 and Dodge NV4500. Has anybody tried this or know where I might find some guidance performing these modifications?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:09 AM

Re: 318 engine swap in 1980 CJ7

To my knowledge, not much exists. Problem is that using a Dodge engine limits trans selection choices and limits transfer case selection choices, therefore not much exists in the way of aftermarket products and adaptors for Dodge to Jeep.
If the trans and engine are already able to be connected, you are set that way. If not, take care of that first.
Next you need an adaptor to connect the trans to the transfer case of your choice. Advance Adapters http://www.advanceadapters.com/ and Novak http://www.novak-adapt.com/ both make adaptors for the NV4500.
You will probably need to make your own engine mounts. Maybe try and get the 318 with the mounts still atached, then you only need to fit them to the Jeep frame. Trans mounts can probably be purchased from A A of Novak.
I heard that Novak is working on mounts & adaptors to fit a Dodge 360 to YJ... maybe you could contact them to find what they have developed.
If the 318 is newer with FI, get all the engine controls too. Measure to make sure this engine trans t/c combo will not be too long for the Jeep.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 318 engine swap in 1980 CJ7

If the Dodge 318 is a 5.2 magnum engine, it should just bolt directly to the bellhousing that Dodge uses in the Ram trucks. This combo is popular in the Ram trucks and B series vans. This bellhousing uses the same hydrolic master/slave setup that the '95 and up Wranglers use, so that shouldn't be a problem. The Dana 300 should bolt to the NV-4500 without any problems, and you use the lightweight Dodge version with the 23 spline output. I started to put a stroker 4.5 L six into my CJ-7, but then ran across a 5.9 Magnum, and that is going in next. The motor mounts that Jeep uses in the Grands have a high mount, and I don't think they will work, but the Ram truck mounts are lower on the block, and look like they will work with a special made perch. As far as wiring the fuel injection, is should be easy if you stick to the '94-'95 harness and SBEC controller. This system is almost exactly the same as the MPFI kit that Hesco sells, but with 2 more cylinders. I am trying to wire a '98 JTEC controller, and use a '98 Grand Cherokee's instrument cluster. The reason for this is I have the controller, and all of the sensors on my new 5.9 came from a '98. I should have the ability to re-flash my PCM with newer updates from Chrysler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode