Will a dana-18 hold up to daily driving? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will a dana-18 hold up to daily driving?

I've got an old t-90 and d-18 combo and I'm pondering adapting it to fit behind a 4.3L V-6. It'll be a daily driver, and I'm wondering if they'll hold up. I've heard stories about the d-18 suffering from exessive wear because it's a side-drive, but it's also a pretty strong case.
Another question...The output on the d-18 is offset, but does the diff have to be also? It's not going into a shortwheelbase, but into a midsize pickup. I know that's a different vehicle, but the t-90 and d-18 both came in shortwheelbases so I ask you guys. Do you think the offset will matter in a vehicle with a little longer wheelbase? Or should I just save and go for a TH350 and a different case? TIA

JR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Will a dana-18 hold up to daily driving?

I have a corvette 283 in front of a T-90 Spicer 18 combo and i have had no problems. A friend of mine has a willys pickup with a Chevy 350 and has been driving it around for about 20 years with no problems. He uses the truck every day and skids logs and hauls firewood with it on the weekends.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 02:40 AM

"A friend of mine has a willys pickup with a Chevy 350 and has been driving it around for about 20 years with no problems. He uses the truck every day and skids logs and hauls firewood with it on the weekends."

That sounds like the makings for a truck commercial.

<font color=red>Chad</font color=red>
Cascade Crawlers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:15 AM
Matt M38A1

My Combo is a Chevy 350 to TH350 to Dana 18, and per everything I've read I do not expect to have any trouble. The rear axle in my jeep is offset to match the t-case. I'm not sure if you should be concerned with it on a long wheel base. You may have trouble because of the multi angles (up and down, and left to right). If I understand correctly, Dana 60 centers are naturally offset due to the pinion location. You may be able to find one the is right of center that will lessen the left to right angle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:00 PM

If your concerned about the angle why not convert it to a D20? Or just swap it for one. There the same case but the d20 has a centered rear output and 2:00 low gear. You can change that to a 2:46 low with Bronco gears.

Keith

C-Ya.....................kh
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The Dana 18 should be no problem. It is said that you get around 30,000 to 40,000 out of the case before rebuilds, but plenty of people go over or under, depends on driving habits. The intermediatre shaft, the shaft that gets the wear, can be removed and replaced with the case on the vehicle. I wouldn't worry much. It is a great setup.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love the 18 because you can drop a Warn or Saturn (Advanced Adaptors) overdrive in it and have it work like a brownie box.
Josiah

Hillsboro, OR
1955 Willys CJ5 Buick 225 V6 160HP 270ft-lbs, T90 trans, Warn OD, PTO winch, Spicer 18 T Case, RS9000's, Dana 25F/ 44R,
5.38:1 gears, 11" brakes, Bestop Supertop, Hurculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode