Which Radiator 4 a 4.0L Swap - CJ Radiator is Shot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Which Radiator 4 a 4.0L Swap - CJ Radiator is Shot

Will a radiator from a 94-95 4.0L Wrangler bolt cleanly up in my 1985 CJ? My original 85 CJ 258 radiator is shot and I am trying to figure out the most cost effective solution to use with my newly acquired 94 4.0L motor that I am going to swap in into my CJ. Thanks ---DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which Radiator 4 a 4.0L Swap - CJ Radiator is Shot

I used my CJ radiator. I did not use the fan clutch because it was too close to the radiator. I don't believe that the YJ will fit in a CJ. The CJ hoses work and I would make sure you get a 3 core radiator. There are 2 cores around in some of the old Jeeps. I had one in a 86 I bought for parts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Rockbottom;
I hear you for the 3 core. I priced a three core today, new for my 85 CJ and it was right at $200.00. Then I looked at the aluminium ones at C&R Racing and they are $249.00 (I would have to figure out how to use my brackets on my old CJ radiator on this aluminium one?????). Do you have a good used one from the 86 CJ you want to sell. I just can't go new now. Thanks, --DuaneD

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 oversize gas tank, & aluminum/chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 07:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still have a radiator but it is a two core from the 86. If you want it I am asking $100. The new price seems about right based on what friends of mine have spent in the past.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

RockBottom;
Thanks for the feedback and the price. I think I am going to go new at this time. DuaneD

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 08:44 AM

try calling National Automotive Lines. i bought a CJ-7 3-row radiator for $170 about 2 years ago. tell them it is for a 1980 cj-7 with 304 v-8 and AC. it should be the big one. they carry Modine radiators and i think it is part # 583. hope this helps! matt

also, i have and extra factory 20 gal fuel tank. no skidplate. make offer if interested. matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2001, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks for the radiator, makes a lot of sense. I will check into it and give them a call.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode