Decided on 90 YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Decided on 90 YJ

Alright, i have decided to get a 90 YJ because it is cheaper than a 91 and insurence will be less. I plan on buying it and if i have trouble with the carb at all ill upgrade to EFI. Does anyone know of any problems with this, or am i stupid, or is this a good choice? Thanks,
Andrew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Decided on 90 YJ

i as just looking at a multi port injection for the 4.2L, is that fuel injection? what exactly is it and what does it do if its not fuel injection? thanks
andrew

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 02:38 PM
Official Historian

There are two types of fuel injection: multi port and throttle body. The multi port has an injector at each intake valve and the throttle body has 1,2 or 4 injectors above the throttle plates where a carburetor would be. I have a throttle body injection on mine and have seen some on other v8's and I6's. Mine works very well and the others haven't had any complaints either.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd wait and save up for a 91, but the choice is yours.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

i would wait and save up, but even if i did, insurence would still be more and i dont want to pay more for the insurence, and while we are on this topic, will you give me some good reasons why you would save up, like why do you think the 91 is so much better

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that '91's came with fuel injection from the factory. The money you would save by buying a '90 would be lost if you upgraded to fuel injection. I'd go injected right away. If I've learned one thing starting my XJ in the dead of winter and having it idle, it is ... Injection Rules!
Good luck on your decision.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:09 AM
tdog90yj

There is one thing to keep in mind is how much will you actually gain in the long run. Is one year that much of an increase in your rates. I mean personally I love my 90 Yj but that carter crab is a huge POS. But then again there are ways around that. Ie Webber EFI TBI. It is possible that this route maybe ceaper in the long run. But basically what i think we are all saying is plan it out because the cheapest in the short run is not nesesarily the best in the long run

Travis
90 YJ I6 258 4.0 head conversion 4"lift 33's & lots of other goodies
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 91' for sale. E-mail me if interested at [email protected]

Top Dawg!! Only the Big Dawgs Bark!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:31 AM
89yjsahara

I say go for the 90 if thats really what you want. I bought my 89 yj sahara because thats what I wanted. People tried to tell me to get FI, and to not get the carb, but of course, as stubborn as I am, I didnt listen. sooo I bought what I wanted, and I couldnt be happier.
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 5" of lift, 32x11.50 general grabber AT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Nobody has mentioned the Peugot tranny - I'm not sure if those were still used in 90 or not. Watch out for that one - it's the 5 speed with the 2-piece case. It's an even bigger POS than the carb.

Carb or FI - depends on what you like. Personally, I like the simplicity of a motor-mounted fuel pump and a carb. Yes, FI has a lot of advantages, but simplicity is not one of them. Neither is 'field fixability'. "I can fix it, just let me grab my spare MAF sensor, or my Throttle Position Sensor, or take the tank down to put my $150 fuel pump on......"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Just my opinion.
Good luck,
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode