Auto Tranny Cooling Mods? (cooler & deep pan) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Auto Tranny Cooling Mods? (cooler & deep pan)

My auto tranny (TF999? 97 tj 4.0) is maybe making a couple noises and offroad I don't want to destroy it by overheating it so I was thinking I would add a tranny cooler and maybe one of those new deep tranny pans that I see advertised. Do you think the tranny pan would be a good idea? it may just take up too much ground clearance? How hard is a tranny cooler to install? Is the one sold by rusty's offroad any good? Anything else to consider how hard is a temp gauge to put in?

BarrelRoll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:09 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Auto Tranny Cooling Mods? (cooler & deep pan)

The oil pan will help! You're on the right track. Will it get bashed on the trail? You bet... make an additional skid plate for it or prepare to walk out! As for an auxlilary transmission cooler and is this a good idea? Yes, it is a VERY good idea. The cooler you can keep the AT fluid, the happier the transmission is, and the longer will be it's life. A cooler is not hard to put on, just follow the instructions in the kit. It's a matter of finding a place to put the cooler ( a fan on the cooler is a nice touch if you have room) and tying the existing fluid lines together and then protecting the lines and cooler from damage.

I'd suggest summit racing for the oil pan and the cooler...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd try a good oil cooler first, mount it where the engine fan will move air over it (either ahead or behind the radiator. You could put the temp gauge bulb in a plumbing tee somewhere in the cooler line. I bought a nice engine oil cooler (about 12x12") for around $80 at a sprintcar shop, it changed my hydraulic strg. oil from boiling oil to 160 deg. max., and it looks very tough, very few fins but they are strong ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:34 PM

Hey Leve,

not quite on topic here, but I was helpiong a freind rebuild his tf727 today and we were torqing the reation shaft to pump bolts ( pump cover) I was think from memory 85 Ft lbs, I couldnt find it in the cheap multiple tranny rebuild book we had, and we settleed on 50 ft lbs, well it snapped the first bolt we torqed to the click on the wrench.

we had a spare tranny to rob parts from and the broken bolt backed out easily, so we reused another form the donor, but what should the torque spec be?

the bolts are clean and dry, and the rebuild is waiting for us to re assemble the refreshed sub assemblies now, so we have a chance to retorque

I know you know, Ive long since rid myslef of the manuals that would have that spec.

thanks!

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:49 PM
Way Outta Control

Reaction Shaft Support to Oil Pump bolt torque is 175 inch pounds... that's about 14.5 ft/lbs.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey LEVE! Where did you find that ad with the TCI alum pans? Jegs? Summit? I've been looking for one for my CJ but can only find stamped steel.
BTW, the directions that came with my Auto Meter trans temp gauge say to mount the sender in the pan. I believe if you put it in line it may restrict flow (you don't want that!).

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:54 PM
Way Outta Control

The ad is out of a Summit Catalog.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could restrict the flow , if you block the line with the bulb, you could also yank the the thing out of the pan on a treebranch or in a mud hole...you don't want that either. Remember summit, jegs etc...sell goodies for street cars, very few companys give any thought to off-road situations....Personally I'd make a tee from a alum block by drilling and tapping for the fitings, and bolt the tee to the frame or body. As a matter of fact, thats how I installed my steering oil temp gauge, works good.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:40 AM

i found a super-cool race-car parts place on the web. its www.racerpartswholesale.com. i found it while looking for the best prices on Aeroquip fitting and it ended up being here in town (Indy). i have some pictures of the install on my 94 Ram if you are interested. i ended up using a B&M Super Cooler from Summit (the very big one) and am very happy with it! i have not hooked up a gauge yet (pods on back-order) but it seems to shift easier after getting warmed up. let me know if you need some part #'s or pictures. matt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode