OT-Jeepin Food - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

OT-Jeepin Food

I'm just wonderin what everybody else eats when they go on extended jeep trips? What kind of foods cook up best over fire/small stove, do they taste good? I want find new foods... When I camp or hike I take ramen noodles, lipton rice packs(the cajun, rice and red beans, and roasted chicken flavors are good), various canned goods, and a little jerky. I cook on a single burner propane stove that mounts on top of the little green tank. Sometimes I use my friends mountain safety research(msr) brand hiking stove- it works off coleman fuel and can get HOT. Anybody got any good squirrel recipes?
Andy

46cj2a beater and pile 0 parts.
75 cherokee parts pile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 05:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT-Jeepin Food

Manifold Burritos, Manifold Steaks, Header Beans, Manifold Potatoes, etc...

Manifold and headers refer to cooking locations! Just wrap in aluminum foil, head for the trail (remember to check on them periodically) and when you get there, your dinner is ready.

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Packer Brats from Louie's Finer Meats in Cumberland WI ! Also, a stick of venison sausage in the cooler with a loaf of bread and some real Wisconsin cheddar (do NOT put Kraft singles on venison...it's against the law up here[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). For snacks, home made "Trail Mix" (you know, like Chex mix only the real stuff). To drink, nothin' but water on the trail (it sucks trying to clean Dr. Pepper out of your carpet[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) and a couple of ice cold Leinie's to wash down the trail dust at the end of the day.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Almost ready for paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:29 AM
sas87yj

you got it![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
simple but nourishing- that's the ticket.
those de-hydrated backpacking meals are pretty good and light weight- just add water but i think are a little pricey. depends of course the length of your trip- number of meals. we always take grub. on a day trip some fruit, jerkey, chips, sandwiches and plenty of water. have two dogs also so they need water and minimum food. 4-6 gallons of water and 2 for radiator. always have 2 cans oysters and crackers as emergency stash![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
on over-night trips the propane stove comes along and the coffe pot(perc). we usually bbq our dinner ie some kind of meat- beef,pork or chicken. have a grill to set on rocks for bbq'ing.

steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 08:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dinty Moore Beef Stew and Hormel Chilli. Just open the can and drop it into the firepit. Pull out using the canopener and break out your trusty spoon. Viola, food. The best campfire cooking we have done while wheeling was a steak tip sandwich. Brought some steak tips and skewered em on a stick, roasted over fire till done. Put em on a bun with some cheese and your good to go. If your feeleing lazy, good old cold cuts work fine.

G-Man
If you don't like the way I'm living, you can just leave this long-haired country boy alone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:38 AM
89yjsahara

Ive always been a big fan of anything BBQ, but my personal favorite to eat while on the trail is either steak, or a good old fashioned cheeseburger, and a beer.
Scott

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 6" of lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on the trip. For long, extended trips I would go with the backpacking freeze dried stuff. For just a day trip or overnight I would save my money and just take some stuff for engine cooking or sandwiches.

When choosing backpacking food, not all are equal. Alpineair & Mountain House are very good, taste and nutritionally. I have eaten some nasty stuff over the years, there is now substitute for good food. Campmor, REI, and the Sportsmans Guide(for bulk) are my favorite places to shop for food. I'll sometimes sneak up to Atlanta when REI has a sale and stock up on backpacking food to save shipping. I have enough bulk Mountain House from the Sportsmans Guide from after the Y2K fiasco. I stocked up after Jan 1 2000, and saved a bundle. I have 2 months of food now. But get ready if you go this route the prices can be high.

For money savings on day trips when keeping food fresh isn't as much of a problem, I'll just stick with something out of the frig. Those Coleman coolers that plug into the cig lighter will keep stuff resonably cool except for the high summer temps.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 04:41 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

When my buddy and I did our jeep trip last summer, we took one of those small grilles, it's like 18" x 9", runs on the small propane bottles. That thing was great! We would stock up on food every 3 or 4 days.

I always liked the fresh tuna steaks and shrimp on the grill. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That, with some instant rice, flavored with some spices, maybe some potato salad... mmm.... good stuff.

Also shishkabob - chicken (w/spices), marinated in some italian dressing, kebobed on skewers, with mushrooms, onions, pepers... mmmm...

Also, take one big pot. You can create your own kind of 'gumbo stew'. Cut up buritos, some rice, spices, veggies, a few cans of various soups, etc. Cook this over a fire, as it's tough on fuel - takes a long time to cook a big stew.

I always like cooking when camping, and having something good, rather than 'burgers'. Also, look for stuff that doesn't need refrigeration: cans of soup, cans of veggies, chili, etc. We wandered around the supermarket quite a bit and came up with some good stuff.

Good luck, and good eatin'! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Pete

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

smokngun, you have it all wrong... louis hunter sausage is the very best meat prioduct i have ever tasted.. my father in law lives in cumberland.... i may get some of it next week!

~~Elusive~~http://www.jeepgod.net
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to say the best trail food is ramen noodles, they are cheap as hell, and are easy to make. Eggs are good too if ya can keep em cold, all you gotta do is throw em in a pan.

'85 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode