SCBA Tank for On board air? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SCBA Tank for On board air?

I volunteer on our local rescue team and we are about to take delivery on a new extrication tool. Our old tool was a hydrualic pump that was powered by air....I know it sounds funny but it has served us well....
Here is my question. The Air tanks we use are the same style as firefighter breathing apperatus, that should give you an idea on size....we have about 5 of these tanks,they hold 1100 PSI each , yup 1100...
Just curious if I could use one of these for on board air and if so how many refills could I get? Isnt there something else I could fil this with Co2 or something like that?

<font color=red> Red 7 </font color=red> in the <font color=green> Green Mountain State </font color=green>
<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258 / weber
</font color=red>
torx: the root of all evil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 11:06 AM
jeepfiend

Re: SCBA Tank for On board air?

I think that it would just depend on whether or not you could get it filled at a welding shop. If you have access to the SCBA equipment, you probably also have access to the compressor that fills the equipment. I think the CO2 tanks are a little higher pressure, not sure though never really messed with one that much.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All of our scba tanks hold either 2216 psi, or 4500 psi. Those are rated at a 30, and 60 min tanks. If your volenteer dpt. has these tanks they probably fill them from much larger high pressure cylinders. I have thought about doing this too. the tanks are designed to take a beating, and the new carbon fiber ones only weigh about 10 lbs. I thin that a regulator from your welding shop would fit in there too. Why not just use air and forget the co2? Give it a try.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:24 PM

You dont get enough stored energy using compreesed air. Even at 2000 psi you wont have enough air, for anything but maybe an emergency bead reset or maybe one fill up of a set of 33" tires. CO2 is stored in liquid form, which is the reason for its ability to be stored in a small area, and converted to gas when needed. Even Nitrogen, when stored in comressed gas form, only has about 1/3 the stored energy of CO2 for the same size storage container,(even though it is stored at over 3000 psi. I have tried compressed air (in a scuba tank), and Ive even tried using nitrogen, they just dont allow you enough storage capacity for anything but an emergency. Either CO2 or a replenishable, compressed air supply, are really your only viable air source options.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

And CO2 is stored at less pressure than a 2.2 or 4.5 SCBA tank (what tank uses 1100 psi?)

And something not mentioned, is you'd still need the tanks hydrostatically teste every 3 or 5 years, otherwise a gas shop will not fill it.

I use a 2.2 for storage of my compressed air in my York system. Soon I'll be using dual tanks.

I can tell you the funky thread types found on SCBA bottles if you're interested.

Charly

You say tomato, I say fawk you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 07:19 AM
I Do This For The Glory

My older brother has used a SCUBA tank for portable air, and it works well. Mangler can attest to the longevity of the tank when we came down to get the jeep. The tank was able to easily zip of all the trailer axle bolts (8 of them on 4 tires) with a 1/2" air gun, and plenty of air left. He is a SCUBA diver, so getting them filled is no problem. As to filling only 4 tires, they'll do a LOT more than that.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:08 AM

I am a certified diver also, so filling the tanks was not a problem. I used a fresh 80 cubic inch steel tank, while wheelin with a bunch of guys from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers in Reno, Nv, last summer. We were all curiouse to see how well the set up would work. We used it on the trail to re set a bead on a 33" tire(the re set went very smooth, with maybe 15 seconds of full pressure blasts with the valve stem removed from the tire), and filled it back up to 10 psi. There was not enough air left to fill my (4) 35" tires from 4 psi to 25 psi, on my rig.
Its not like I havent tried using a scuba tank, we tried it a couple more times, but again, 1 tank could not fill a full set of 36" tires, when the tank was used for about 10 minutes of impact wrench and air rachet, repairs on the trail.
If your OK with that type of capacity on the trail, and have a PADI card, its very convenient method and only costs a few bucks per tank. But it is probably not 1/4, of the stored energy you get in a similar sized CO2 tank. There have been several comparison tests (although biased towards the "Power Tank" CO2 systems they are trying to hard sell), in the variouse off road rags, with similar results, Im sure someone could post.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another thing you have to worry about is keeping it certified. The only way scuba shops will refill a tank is if it has current certification. This will cost you some money, and mostly be a big hassle.

The refilling systems that are used around here will also cause you some problems. They use a yoke that fits around the top of the tank. If I can read you guys correctly you will be removing the top valve and installing a fitting to be able to run a hose out of it. You may have trouble finding someone to refill it because of this.

We thought of this when I was taking my one of my NAUI classes and talked to our instructor. He would give us all the used tanks we wanted, but wouldn't refill them unless we recertified them.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know several circle track racers that use compressed c02 bottles to run their air tools, mount tires, fill tires, seems to work really well.......should be able to get this filled at a welding supply shop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode