Carter Adjustment - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carter Adjustment

My jeep has been dying a lot lately. I'll be driving down the road and when I push in the clutch to get ready to come to a stop, it will just cut out and die. My gas mileage is horrible and my exhaust smells extremely rich. Does anyone know where I can find info on adjusting the Carter Carb? So maybe I can try to make the air/fuel mixture a little leaner? I don't have the money to change carbs right now so I'm gonna have to see if I can live with this one. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 10:45 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: Carter Adjustment

Try spraying some carb cleaner down the idle tubes. I think thats what there called.I used to carry carb cleaner with me to do this. The red plastic tube fits right in the tubes.

82 cj-7,258,hei,weber,np435,D-300, superior axles
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like you just discovered the clogging idle tube syndrome that is written about so much. There are some realy helpful articles in the Jeep Tech section of this site. Basicly, the idle tubes are too small and get clogged VERY easily. Jeep even released a letter on how to drill them out to help the problem. The assembly is easy to remove and clean with a small wire. Take a look at the 258 Primer article aswell, it will explain a lot of problems you will no doubt experience soon with this carb.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto, 4.0 head swap (finally), no trac bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is the link you want.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

bandhmo

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you rev it up and close the choke, it should clean out the idle circuit.
Make sure the choke is fully open when it's hot, that will make it run rich. the idle mixture is the only easy adjustment, two screws on the base of the carb (the ones with the springs on them), in is lean out is rich, try to get the fastest idle by adjusting them slowly, then see how it smells after a good hard drive...clean or replace the sparkplugs if they are black with soot

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:34 PM
Veteran

My carter did the same thing as you described, we did the quick fix (the link he sent you) and right when we pulled the venturi tubes out there was a paticle cloging one of [email protected]!!, now the jeep runs great though.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:01 PM
81cj5

mine did the exact same thing. I put a few bottles of HEET in the next few tanks. It worked . Thought it was water in the tank but maybe the HEET cleaned out those tubes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode