The wrangler had a growth spurt last night - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

The wrangler had a growth spurt last night

Installed the 1" body lift last night. It's amazing how much of a difference 1" makes. 33s here I come. All that is left now is to get the 5.0 in and start playing with the big boys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 02:16 PM
Veteran

Re: The wrangler had a growth spurt last night

Good going. Btw, I wanted to ask you what size of bolts/washers did you use to mount the yoke adaptor to the flange on the Ford 8.8 ?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

I got the bolts from ford. they were suprisingly cheap. I think it came to $10 for the factory 12 point bolts. I believe they are 12 mm. In an emergency I used regular grade 8 bolts on my explorer and they were a pain to tighten because there is not enought room between the head of the bolt and the yoke to get a socket on it. Also don't forget to lock-tight the bolts, they loosen real easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:26 AM

Yes it is best to use the 12 mm 12 point bolts that are supplied from the factory. Grade 8's can be used, and I have in fact used them for months at a time with no problems(other than they are harder to install and remove). Since I have discovered that almost all drive line shops carry them in abundance, in their hardware drawers, I have been using the propper 12mm bolts. Dont forget to put a U jointed 12 mm star socket in your on board tools, and really make your life easier, (and increase the bolt head longevity). Good point about the lock tight.
Good to hear about the growth spurt on your rig. Dont you find, that the air is so much crisper and cleaner at the increased elevation?

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Absolutly...Once the 4" springs come in and I save the money for some 35s(the eventual ultimate goal) I should be high enough to get into the realy fresh air above the jersey smog. By the way Kutyafal, if you get the bolts new from ford, take the factory thread locker of of them with a wire brush and use red lock-tight. The bolts will be much easier to get in.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:25 PM
BMF

Once the 4" springs come in and I save the money for some 35s(the eventual ultimate goal)
You'd be suprised just how quick the feeling of the 35's being just right wears off. I only planned on running 33's but the tire shop I went to was out and I didn't want to wait so I got 35's. Great for a couple of months, now I am trying to see if I can buy another vehicle so my Jeep isn't my daily driver and run something a little bigger. It's already scary enough driving 75 through the mountains with nly the 35's, imagine it with 38's. Just my thoughts on the ultimate goal.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had a 1 inch body lift sitting in a box for a year now.... think I should install it?

<font color=red> Red 7 </font color=red> in the <font color=green> Green Mountain State </font color=green>
<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258 / weber
</font color=red>
torx: the root of all evil.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:08 PM
Veteran

Hey Jimmy, what do the Ford guys call those bolts? I've had a tough time explaining some stuff to parts guys when I didn't know the "proper" name they used to describe it. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Is it the same type of 12 point like the hub mounting bolts? Needs a 12 point socket right? Is it black like the grade 10.9 metric ones?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

When I bought the jeep it had conferr shackles(1" lift) and 30" street ttread tires on it. I picked up a set of 2.5" OME springs from a friend and put 31x10.50 bridgestone dueler mt's on it in the first 2 weeks I had it. I also swaped in 4.10s and a lockright. Now i've swapped in a ford 8.8 traclock with 3.73s and lost my 4wd due to mis-matched gears. I was going to upgrade the 8.8 to 4.10s and a locker but decided to switch the front to 3.73 to save a little gas with the 5.0/np435. I put a set of 33x12.50 all terains from a friends ranger(right lug pattern, wrong offset) on the jeep just to see how they fit. It looked good but eventualy I know they wont be big enough to satisfy me. But what's the fun of owning a jeep if you don't constantly work on it?

Kuyafal...I'll look through my reciepts and get the part#, that should make it much easier.

Part# n800594-s100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode