How to: Ignition cutoff - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

How to: Ignition cutoff

I know I should know this, but how do you setup an ignition kill switch? I think you take a wire from the negative side of the coil and then ground it through a toggle switch. Correct or back to the drawing board? Anything to keep my jeep from wondering off. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 07:28 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: How to: Ignition cutoff

On your 82 CJ the easiest way to kill the igniton is to interrupt the power to the ignition moudule. If you look at the image below you'll see that the 2 wire connector has the Red wire in it, labled #1 on the list. This is the wire you want to interrupt. Without the ignition module in the circuit the engine can't be fired up. I'd suggest using a relay to control the 12 votls to enable and disable the module. This way you somewhat confuse the theif if they try to start tracing wiring. The relay is a small current device to controll a large current device. This way you're running smaller wires to the switch to control the relay. Also, the same relay could be used to control voltage to the coil, or other points if you want a multiple device kill system.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 10:13 PM
Veteran

Actually, I am in need of some kind of kill switch also but for a different reason. I'd like to use the starter to slow-crawl over short stuff without the engine starting. Currently it's too well behaived. I hardly crank it and it fires right up. Some suggested to just give it another 100K miles ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Any ideas how to do this?

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 02:30 AM
Way Outta Control

kutyafal, I think this will work...It's about as a simple and inexpensive a circuit as I can think of. The 2nd solenoid engages the starter when the ignition switch is OFF. The rest of the CJ is electically dead. If you have questions, let me know. You may want to put in a DPDT switch to kill the 2nd starter solenoid when the Jeep's off, and just sitting around!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 09:46 AM
Veteran

Geez Leve, nice diagram. Thanks. I guess this would be one way to do it. What I was thinking of is just have a cut-off switch (or selenoid) somewhere in the ignition circuit to prevent the engine from fireing while you use the ignition key. Would that be more complicated to do? Where could I interrupt the ignition? I guess I have to look at the wiring diagram in the FSM. If I could only figure it out ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 12:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Under the dash, between the steering column and the speedometer you will see a large red wire with a white strip that is connected to another large red wire with a white strip. That connector is where the ammeter type tachometer used in the 6 and 8 cylinder models connects up. That red wire is the ignition power line. Open up the connector and the ignition doesn't get any power.
Put a switch in place of the connector and you have your kill switch. Normal ignition current is suppose to be 2-2.4 amps, a switch should be able to handle that amount of current.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 01:22 PM
Official Historian

You should put a cut off in the fuel pump line as well as the ignition.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode