An oiling Q for CJDAVE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

An oiling Q for CJDAVE

Dave, what are the two plugs, under the intake manifold, in the front of the AMC v8 block?

In one of your other posts you said that you were trying to find a way to tie the right hand lifter oil supply with the left.

Do these plugs connect to both the right and left galleries? or are they for something else?

My new 360 is rattling intermittently from the passenger side. I am in the middle of replacing the new lifters with a set of Crane lifters and push rods. My machine shop told me that Crane lifters perform well with low oil supply. I already have new rockers and cradles so I know that they aren’t a problem.
Man I wish someone would post an oiling diagram for the AMC v8.
T.I.A.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: An oiling Q for CJDAVE

Hey the AMC V8 oiling path is as such=Pickup tube screwed into the block in-between #4+#6 cylendars then is brought through the block into the timing cover via a "d" port shapped passage that you see. From there it goes into the actuall pump. Then out the pump and timing cover to the crank, from the front of the block(hence the problem with the #8 main bearing oiling problem). With the residual pressure and the engineered passage size the rest of the oil is forced up the the cam oiling passage ways. The two plugs underneath the intake manifold are at the location of the upper oiling passages that will lead to the lifters, push rods, rocker arms and spilling onto the springs and back down to the oil pan.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I replaced my lifters and pushrods today and the 360 is now running incredibly strong and quiet, no more rattle...whew.

The power of the 360 is much more than the 304 ever dreamed of.....I love it.

With your help mud, I am going to draw an oil diagram for the AMC v8 if I cant find one soon.
Thanks again for the reply.

Jeeplvr
http:// www.trailhed.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not a problem...Ive got an idea for making a seperate oiler from those two galley plugs. Its to weld on a swivel style brake adapter to the plugs, then attach a oil feed line to any or all areas...pressure is the only problem. Also s-t-r-e-t-c-h the oil pressure relief spring 1/4" to aid in the increasing of the oil pressure too. Behind the cam timing sproket the two plugs there run the entire length of the block to oil the cam, I forgot to mention. If you use a 5/32" drill bit, and drill a hole at an angle aiming towards the timing gear that does a great job on my bothers 304 motor I built also.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2001, 09:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Remember when you are looking at engine blocks that the PLUGS are screwed in there to cap off the passages that had to be drilled in for the oil system. The plugs aren't for any particular thing. The AMC engine oils exactly like most V8s EXCEPT that the yahoos FORGOT to provide an oil crossover in the rear to get more oil to the cam gallery which has the job of oiling the CAM AND CRANK plus the RIGHT BANK LIFTERS while the opposite cam gallery just has lifters only. I have been trying to figger out a way of connecting the REAR set of oil plugs to overcome this built-in deficiency.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] TEAMRUSH has a setup whereby he taps the front end plug of the LH cam oil gallery and uses a welder tip to squirt on the distributor gears.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode